Back | History
A Centenary of Schooling, 1868-1968
Family histories have been recorded only for those who have been connected with the district for over 50 years or prior to that period. Unfortunately, details of some of the early families could not be obtained. However, we acknowledge their contribution to the development of this district.
Use the "Find" feature of your browser to find the surname you are interested in. Don't just stop once you've found the first instance - through marriage etc the same surnames are often found in several different entries. This was generously contributed to CVGenWeb by Rod Kennedy
The Albert family migrated to Australia from Kembeck, in Germany, and settled in the Paterson district. Later they came to the Clarence and settled at Cowper. Adam was a blacksmith and farrier by trade and married Rachael Davis. They settled in Tyndale in 1882 and here they reared a family of 12, eight sons and four daughters, all of whom received their schooling at Tyndale. Adam Albert was a man of many parts, and he and his wife will always be remembered for their work for and interest in the local school. The motor boat trips each year for the school children were an example of his interest in the school. The cane derrick and trip hooks used throughout the district to-day were perfected by Adam Albert. With the help of his sons he built several boats, two of which were used at Brooms Head for deep sea fishing for many years. Several members of the family still reside on the Lower Clarence.
Richard Denson who came from England as a young man settled at Tyndale. He had three sons and two daughters. One son, George, is still living in Sydney. William and Horace lived their whole lives at Tyndale. William married Ella Connor whose parents came originally from Northern Ireland. Known to all as "W.J.," William was an elder of the Presbyterian Church and for 30 years secretary-treasurer of the Mid-Clarence Presbytery; he served a couple of terms as president of the Orara Shire; took a leading part in the Good Templars Lodge and the Farmers and Settlers Association. His son, Ian, lives on the family property and daughter, Ilma (,Mrs. S. Moreton) lives in Newcastle. Horace married Alma Page and they had two sons, Kelvin (now deceased) and Ronald, who lives on the family property, Mrs. Alma Benson now lives in Maclean.
Robert Biddle, a free settler, came from England and set up a forge and engineering business on the Hawkesbury, at Richmond. In 1873 he came to the Clarence with his son Francis and selected at Tyndale three properties of standing timber. He then returned to the Hawkesbury. In 1883 Francis came back to the Clarence with his brother Robert and step-brother John. They each settled on one of the Tyndale properties and married, All of John's children were pupils of the Tyndale School, and most of Robert's and Francisí children. A number of grandchildren also attended. After Francis Biddle left to live at Great Marlow, John's son Albert and his wife conducted the Tyndale Central Post Office for a number of years in the house vacated by Francis Biddle. In 1930, Francis, youngest son Jim returned to Tyndale and purchased one of the original Biddle properties. In 1959, Ivan, son of Fred Biddle (who remained on the Hawesbury with his father Robert ), having disposed of the original Hawkesbury property property, purchased Jimís farm except for a small portion retained by Jim. Ivanís son Graeme is a pupil at the school. Great-great grandchildren of Robert Biddle have attended Tyndale School. Robert Biddle's daughter Hannah married the original Henry Watson
Mr and Mrs Luke Bruce settled in Tyndale from the Hunter River District in 1905. Their two sons, Charlie and Percy, attended Tyndale School 1905 until 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Percy Bruce still live in Tyndale. Their four children, Trevor, John, Robert and Fay all attended the Tyndale School.
The Byrons first settled at Calliope and came to Tyndale about 1908, where they bought a farm (now owned by the Stewart family and adjoining Stewart's Lane), John Byron, in his younger days, was well-known for his prowess as a cane-cutter. He was reputed to start work so early that he put a hurricane lantern in the stool of cane. Mrs. Byron was a nurse and her services were sought and appreciated by many. They reared a family of four sons and two daughters and with advancing years sold the farm and retired to Bankstown.
James Cooney was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1839 and came to Australia in 1867. He settled on the Richmond River. In 1870, at Wardell, He married Johanna Reardon. The Marriage was conducted by Abbe Schurr, who journeyed from Armidale to perform the ceremony. In 1872 he moved to Chatsworth, where, the elder children attended school. In 1889, James purchased a property at Tyndale, Woodford Island, and despite the floods and financial crisis of the early 90s, the family successfully worked their property. Mr. and Mrs. Cooney reared a family of two sons and six daughters. James resided on the property till his death, aged 73, his widow surviving him by a few vears. The younger son, John, remained on the property till ill-health forced his retirement to Yamba, where he spent The remainder of his life. Mrs. M. McLaren, of Croydon, is the only surviving member of the family. Johnís sister Maggie attended Tyndale School, as did Johnís son Maurice, who now lives: at Yamba.
John and Mary Connelly settled at Shark Creek in 1866. They had a family of five boys. Jeremiah, James, Owen, Patrick and John. John senior died when Jeremiah was eight years old. Jeremiah later married Elizabeth Fennessy.
The Fennessy family settled at Shark Creek in 1878
Elizabeth Married Jeremiah Connelly and continued to live on the property selected by her father. She attended the Tyndale School when it was situated near Stewart's Lane.
The teacher being Mr. Cowper. David Connelly a present day pupil is the fifth generation to live an the original property. Elizabeth Connelly who died recently was 96 years of are.
James Gallagher, a native of County Wicklow, Ireland, came to Australia in 1855 together with his wife and five children. They first settled at Moruya (South Coast), where their two small sons, John and James, were drowned soon after arriving. In 1862, James Gallagher came to the Clarence and acquired land at Tyndale, then returned to Moruya to get his family. However, it was 1865 when they arrived in Tyndale And settled on the property, still owned by the Gallagher family to-day. Their family was a large one, 12 surviving to live at Tyndale. James was a blacksmith and wheelwright by trade and, in addition to farming, he later started a sawmill on the bank of Shark Creek. This was operated later by sons Patrick and Francis. A steamboat called the Maggie used to tow the barges from the mill. In 1897 a creamery was built by the Fresh Food and Ice Company on the Gallagher farm near the highway. Farmers brought their milk to be separated and took the skimmed milk home, The cream was sent to Grafton. The opening of the creamery was celebrated with a picnic in Gallagher's paddock. A man named Wyatt brought the cordials and the story is told that he drove too fast across the paddock and broke half the bottles. The creamery was a popular place for exchanging news. The well used for supplying the water proved a great boon in the big drought about 1916, supplying most of Tyndale. With the advent of butter factories, the creamery ceased to function. After James' death In 1908, the farm was carried on by his son John, who, in 1892, married Bridget Hinchey. They reared a family of 12. Since Johnís death in 1937, the property has been worked by his sons Gerald, Tom and Bernie. Bridget Gallagher died in 1956.
Peter and Jane Gale migrated from Cardiff, Wales, with their family in the early 1860's. They settled on the south Arm where Bessie was born in April, 1866. She later married Henry Smith. Peter Gale cleared land and grew maize. Later, he took up dairying, and grew sugar cane. He had one of the first sugar mills on the river, it being worked by horse power. Henry Smith and Bessie Gale were married in 1893. They took over the property of Peter Gale, and had a family of three boys and one girl, Francis, Carl and Leslie, who all attended Tyndale School. Their father died at the age of 37. Their mother carried on the farm, doing the farming and dairying her self. Francis, Carl and Leslie all married and settled in the district, their children attending Tyndale School. Beatrice (daughter of Francis), married Brendon Moloney and five of their eight children attended Tyndale School, Patrick being one of the present-day pupils.
John Gregor and his wife Marion Munro left the North of Scotland and arrived in Australia in the late 1840's. They settled firstly in the Williams River district where their son George was born in 1848. Subsequently, like so many of the early Scottish settlers, they made their way by bullock dray to the Clarence where John purchased land near the river at Clarenza. 'They had a family of five boys and seven girls. Johnís wife died at Clarenza in 1865 at the age of 37, John Gregor was one of the first to grow sugar cane on the Clarence. At the opening day of free selection in Grafton, 7th January, 1862, a selection of 48 acres on Woodford Island was granted to John Gregor. The area was on the main river side of the island between Duck Pond Creek and Elbow Creek and was later increased to 93 acres. George married Flora Watson and they settled on a property below Maclean later known as Goddardís. T'hey had a family of 11 children of whom Donald Munro was the oldest. Donald married Margaret McPherson, of King's Creek, Lawrence, daughter of Murdoch McPherson (who at the age of 12 had arrived in Australia from the Isle of Skye with his parents) and his wife Ann (McIntosh) whose parents had also migrated from Scotland. They first lived at Broadwater on the Lower Clarence and in 1914 Donald sold the original Woodford island property, which had been passed on to him, and purchased the property at Tyndale which had been selected by Thomas Powell in 1859. In his younger days Donald was a member of the Maclean company of the Scottish Rifles and for many years a member of Maclean Pipe Band, in his later years playing under the leadership of his son Colin as drum major. He took a keen interest in shooting as a sport and was a well-known marksman. Donaldís four children, Ross (now president of Maclean Shire Council), Lexie, Colin and Donald Munro jnr., all attended Tyndale School as did Ross and Colin's children and (for a short time) Don's elder son. Ross and Colin now operate the farm. Ross' youngest son, Neil, also a cane grower is the fifth generation of the Gregor family to grow cane. Continuing the pioneer sequence, Ross' wife, Joyce, is the great granddaughter of the original James Watson, of 'Tyndale, and Colin's wife, Ailsa, is the great granddaughter of James Page who came from London in 1855 to take charge of the first National School established by the Government of N,S.W. in Grafton and became the first Town Clerk when Grafton was made a municipality in 1859.
Michael Hinchey arrived in Australia from Ireland in the mid '60s. A butter-maker by trade,, he worked for 12 months in Sydney where he married Anne Rouhan. They came to the Clarence about 1866 and settled on a farm on the South Arm, now occupied by G. and B Causley. Two sons, John and Michael, were born there. 'They later moved to the top of Shark Creek. They also acquired land at the back of Tyndale, where they carried on dairying. Several of the family came to Tyndale School from there. Mr. Hinchey was responsible for getting the Upper Shark Creek bridge built.
He travelled to Sydney at his own expense to put the case for a ferry, but the authorities Suggested a bridge ( much to his surprise and delight). Prior to the bridge, the creek was crossed by a flat-bottomed punt with the aid of a wire stretched from bank to bank. They reared a family of 12 of whom three still survive, Joseph (Toronto), Kate (Mrs. Mitchell, Lismore), Mag (Lismore).
William James Snr., whose parents,, migrated from England, was born at Seaham on the Hunter River. He married Mary Wilcox and settled in Tyndale in 1884 on a farm which also had the Post Office attached. The Post Office remained in the James' care for over 40 years, being carried on by their daughter Amy after the parents' death. He was the first person in Tyndale to own a motor car, possibly a "Star." Surviving members of the family are William (Maclean) and Amy (Mrs. S. Grove), of Picnic Point, and of the second family, Olive and Rex, of Melbourne. William James jnr. married Ellen Alberts and settled on a farm at Tyndale near the Tyndale Park area, where he conducted a mixed farm. His bananas, pineapples and honey were well-known in all surrounding areas, William was noted for his thoroughness and his ability to care for what he owned (notably a car he once owned and which was always kept in immaculate condition). Members of the family were Cleve, Alva, Earl, Ruby and Leila.
John and Elizabeth Lee came from Cambridge with their family in the sailing vessel "Blenheim," landing in Sydney in 1856, Their family consisted of four sons, Charles, John, William and Joseph, and a daughter, Bess. For a short period they settled on the Hunter River but a severe drought forced them to leave. They travelled overland by bullock dray and horseback to Southgate where they settled in 1858. A property in Tyndale purchased about 1865 was eventually taken over by William's son, Edward. In September, 1884, Edward married Catherine Ann Logan, who had been a pupil at the original Tyndale School. Their first crop of sugar cane was planted with a hoe amongst stumps and in the area surrounding the present Tyndale tennis court. They had three children, Ethel, Eva and Hedley, who married Clara Watson. He and his wife continue] to work the farm until 1947. In that year they took over control of the Tyndale Post Office and rendered magnificent service to the area for over 20 years. They reared a family of two, Ronald, who married Doreen Biddle and Shirley (Mrs. Williams), of Dubbo. Ronald still works the farm and on the death of his father took over control of the Post Office. He is also president of Tyndale P. and C. Association, a position he has held for many years. Ronald'.s only son, Peter, attended Tyndale School, being the fourth generation of the family to do so.
Among the early settlers in the Tyndale District, were Terah Lee and his wife who selected the land which is now owned and occupied by Mr. J. Watson, adjacent to the Tyndale ferry, 94 years ago. Terah was born on the Hunter River in 1852 and came with his parents to the Clarence, where they settled in the Ulmarra district. It was on his marriage in 1874 to Jane Boorman, daughter of James Boorman, and a member of a well-known pioneering family of Southgate, that Terah took up land at Tyndale. Here they reared a family of six sons and four daughters, all of whom crossed the river to attend the Tyndale School. The sons were Reginald, Walter,, Charles, Leslie, Harry and Bertie. The daughters were Lillian, lsobel , Minnie and Ellen. Surviving members of the family are Bert, Isobel and Ellen. Isobel, now 83 years of age, and living in Maclean, is the widow of Mathew Stewart. Mathew's father, Andrew, had bought a neighbouring property from the Munro's and this is now occupied by his grandson, Andrew Stewart. Early in their married life, Mathew and Isobel Stewart bought land on the mainland opposite Tyndale ferry and this property is now occupied by their son Leighton. They reared a family of six sons and one daughter, all of whom were educated at Tyndale School. Surviving members of this family -are Andrew and Leighton, of Tyndale, and Noel and Heather, of Grafton. The most recent members of this family to attend the Tyndale School are Judy, daughter of the late Hector Stewart, Beverley, daughter of Andrew Stewart, and Pamela and Gregory, the children of Leighton Stewart.
When Tyndale School was established as a Public School, the first teacher appointed by the Department was Duncan McLachlan. He was appointed in November, 1882, and remained in charge until succeeded by Thomas Dibden in January, 1903. Duncan McLachlan came to Australia from Scotland at the age of 19. He had had a good schooling and a few years after he arrived, entered the reaching profession. He taught at the Coldstream School for a short time before coming to Tyndale.. He and his family lived in a large home known as Cowper's property. There were several buildings on the property, one being used as the school. This was about two miles up river from the present Tyndale School. When a school was built on the present site Mr. McLachlan and his older children used to walk to the school each day until the residence was built some time later. Of his five sons and five daughters, four sons and one daughter joined the teaching profession. Alban, the eldest son eventually became Principal of Bathurst and Dubbo High Schools and before his retirement was, Deputy Chief Inspector of Schools. Duncan was Principal at Hunterís Hill when he retired. Alex, James and Ida, all teachers, died when comparatively young.One daughter married James McIntyre of "Forest Bank," South Arm and her daughters, Mary, Jean and Nan attended Tyndale School. At one time during Mr. McLachlanís period in charge of the school there were between 70 and 80 pupils and his salary was 78 pounds per annum. He and his wife were called on for help in cases of sickness and with no doctor close at hand Mr. McLachlan used to prescribe for many of the sick.
The only surviving member of the family is Mrs. Isobel Fletcher, now aged 84, who lives at Lower Hawkesbury.
Clarrie McLachlan came to Tyndale when he was two years of age. He resided with his grandmother, Mrs. Watts. He attended Tyndale School and later worked in the district. He married Fanny Kelly from South Grafton and continued to live in the district. Of his family, seven attended Tyndale School, He was well known in the district as a water diviner. Many of the wells in the district were divined by him.
Thomas and Johanna Maguire settled at Shark Creek in 1870. They had a family of five children, Patrick, Stephen, Thomas, Charlie and Catherine. Patrick worked the farm after the decease of his father. Thomas acquired another property at Shark Creek and married Norah Hinchey. They had nine children some of whom attended Tyndale School. Mary, Mrs. J. Moloney, still resides at Shark Creek. Catherine married John Hinchey and lived at Shark Creek for many years.
Daniel Moloney arrived in Sydney from County Clare, in Ireland, in the year 1863. He worked in Sydney as a coachman, coming to the Clarence in 1865, where he worked for a year with the Connor family at the Coldstream. In 1866 he selected land at Shark Creek. This he cleared and grew crops of maize and sorghum. Later he commenced dairying. He married Annie Chamblain at Grafton in 1869. She came to Australia from Galway, Ireland. They had a family of nine. Margaret (Mrs. Loughman), Bridget (Mrs. Niland), Anne (Mrs. McGrath), Mary (Mrs. Comerford), Catherine (Mrs. English), Theresa, Lena and Daniel, all deceased, and Michael Joseph, who still resides on the original property with his sons Michael and Basil. Daniel married Elizabeth McGrath in 1909. They had a family of five boys and one girl, Enid (Mrs. V. Moran). Two boys died at an early age. Brendon, Joseph and George all still residing in the district. Brendon married Beatrice Smith and Joe married Mary McGuire, thus linking these pioneer families.
Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Nilan came to the district from Calliope. They bought the farm opposite Tyndale Park now owned by Ross Gregor. Their son Andrew was killed by a bull on the property now owned by Dick Woods. Anne (Mrs. P. Moran, of Grafton) is a surviving daughter of Andrew jnr. and his wife Bridget (Moloney).
William Quayle was born in Castletown, Isle Of Man, in the year 1834. He went to sea at an early age and subsequently served as an officer on ships engaged In the Indian and China trade. On coming to Australia In the late 50s he secured a position at Morpeth which was then the terminus for many of the smaller vessels engaged in the Hunter River trade. In the year 1861 he married Sarah McAulay at Raymond Terrace, who with her parents had migrated from Portree, Isle of Skye, in the year 1852. Soon after their marriage the couple moved to Ulmarra and took up land close to where the Southgate Ferry now plies. In 1866 William Quayle purchased portions 57, 58 and 59 at Tyndale, Woodford Island. For some time an attempt was made to work the two properties but owing to obvious difficulties this was discontinued and in 1887 the whole family took up residence at Tyndale where William died in 1907. Mrs. Quayle resided on the property till her death in 1930. Of the large family of nine only three married. John, who married Mary Barnier, of Grafton, was tragically drowned at Broadwater from the "Iolanthe" of which vessel he was the engineer. William, who served in World War 1, where he was severelv wounded, married Gertrude Reeves, of Liverpool, England. Ellen married John McFarlane, who for many years was representative for the Clarence in the Legislative Assembly. Catherine, the youngest of the family, lived on the property till her death in March, 1958. Robert, the last of the family, died in Grafton in 1962.
William Thomas Rayner, born Cambridge, England, 1838, left England at the age of 20 on board the "Golgonga" which sailed direct to Sydney with no ports of call. During the 16 weeks journey three of the 200 passengers were buried at sea. After a few months on a farm on the Hawkesbury and a further few months at his trade of cabinet maker in Sydney, William went to Brisbane and worked as a carpenter, one of his jobs being on the construction of the Brisbane Gaol. Soon after this he married Jessie Munro, a daughter of Charles Munro (later of Woodford Dale), and came to Grafton. In 1862 he was granted a block of land at Tyndale on Woodford Island and the young couple commenced clearing the land, felling trees and planting maize with a hoe between the stumps. Their first home was a tent, then a slab hut and later when the timber was dried sufficiently, a house. They withstood the hardships of floods, droughts and the difficulties of having to obtain their supplies by boat from Grafton. Their acreage was gradually increased and grew to 332 in William's lifetime. Like manv of the early settlers, William joined in the rush to the Solferino gold diggings but returned a poorer and wiser man. Mr. Rayner played a large part in securing a Post Office at Tyndale (Woodford Island) on the property later owned by the James family. The Rayners had two sons and one daughter, Mary, who married C. T. Davis, of the gelatine company. Mrs. Rayner died in 1922, but William lived to the age of 90. Of the two sons Charles worked with his father and Donald joined the Post OfTice. Charles spent his entire life at Tyndale. The first schooling he had was at the first school in the area at the home of John Small who kindly allowed his governess to teach other children. Charles married Catherine McIntyre, daughter of Dugald McIntyre, and built the home known to-day as "Cambridge Park." They had seven children, William (killed on Gallipoli), Bennett (died in infancy), Jean, Jessie (killed in a motor accident, 1966), Dugald, Mary and Annie (twins), Catherine died in 1921 and Charles in 1937. Dugald who had been in partnership with his father is still carrying on the farm. He suffered a great loss recently with the sudden death of his wife, Audrey. Charles Rayner was a great lover of livestock. He and Dugald bred many fine horses and AIS cattle, Dugald carrying on the production after his father's death. Dugald's children, Janice, Valerie and Ken all attended Tyndale School as had the previous generations of the Rayner family.
John Ryan, a native of Limerick, Ireland, came to Australia at the age of 24. In 1868 he and his wife settled on a property on the western bank of Shark Creek. The property was known as "Pine Cottage." He was credited with the introduction of sugar cane in that area. He was the first to acquire land under the Robertson Act, whereby it was possible to pay a deposit, followed by instalments, instead of by paying cash. They reared a family of four boys and three girls. John Ryan lived at "Pine Cottage" until his death at the age of 82. After his death, his son-in-law, Dennis Comerford, worked the farm for many years. John's son, Dennis, farmed a property at Lower Shark Creek and was renowned for his neat farm work. Grandsons William and Kevin and great-grandson John, still reside in the district.
Mr. and Mrs. P. Sheehy came to Tyndale in 1914 from Shark Creek and were occupied in vegetable and fruit growing. In 1935 their oldest son, Pat, together with his brothers, Tony and Jack, built a very fine home which has been a landmark in the area. In 1938 they commenced their business of concrete brick making and building. The business grew and there is now a large modern factory for brick making and timber production, built near the first house. They have since built a large motel and shop as well as a number of houses.
Arthur Sleeman married May Albert in the early 1890's and settled on a property in Tyndale. They had a family of five children. Rene, Arthur (deceased) and Dot attended Tyndale School. In 1914 the family left the district to live at Wombah where Dot (Mrs. Kempnich) still resides.
Andrew Stewart and his wife, natives of County Donegal, Ireland, left there with baby son Matthew for New York, where he worked for the Railway. Sons Bill and Jack were born in America. They returned to Ireland and in 1880 decided to come to Australia with their four children, a daughter, Maggie, having been added to the family. The journey in the sailing ship, Samuel Plymston, took six months and was eventful. The ship was severely damaged in a cyclone, then fever broke out and several passengers died. They settled first at Queanbeyan, then travelled by S.S. City of Grafton
to the Clarence, where Andrew obtained work on a farm at Palmers Island, later leasing a farm at Woodford Leigh. His next and last move was to Tyndale, where he purchased a property now managed by his grandson. He passed away in 1901. Six more children were added to the family, viz., Elizabeth, -Mary, Sarah, Janie, Hugh and Andy, the last four attended Tyndale School. Janie and Andy are still living in Maclean and Mary in Lismore.
James Watts was another early settler. He was the local butcher for some time. Members of his family were James, Thomas, Richard and Essie.
James Watson (born in Hertfordshire), left England with his wife and two sons, Henry (4 yrs.) and George (2 yrs.),arriving in Sydney in 1852. The voyage in the vessel David McIver took six months. Mrs. Watson became very ill on the way and, oil in Sydney, was placed in quarantine where she died. Henry and George were cared for by their uncle and aunt (Mr. and Mrs. Lee) until James remarried (Miss Ann Whitby). Rebecca, Edith and Emily were born of the second marriage. James commenced farming on the Williams River, but after a series of floods and then the destruction of his home by fire, decided to try his luck on the "Big River" as the Clarence was then known. In 1861, the family set out in a bullock dray, talking six weeks (averaging 10 miles per day) to reach their destination. They were accompanied by a Mr. Davison. who later selected land on the Coldstream. They drove some cattle with them and all hands took turns in guarding the stock and camp at night from marauding blacks, They arriveci at Ulmarra in November, 1861, and in the following April moved to Tyndale, having purchased the property now occupied by his great-grandsons, Ralph and Lloyd. Much valuable cedar was destroyed in clearing the land for cultivation, but some logs were pit-sawn and a home built from the timber. Shingles were split for the roof. At first the ground was prepared by hoe, maize planted and this was later ground and used for porridge. As the logs were burned off, ploughing was done try bullocks, Henry and George taking turns leading the bullocks while their father guided the plough. Maize and potatoes were the principle crops, but later, sugar cane was planted. 'The first crop of cane was harvested in 1879 and it gradually became the main crop. Later. dairying was introduced, then beef cattle. There was no school available, so Henry and George were tutored at night by their stepmother, but they were usually so tired after Their day's work helping to clear the land, that they fell asleep. The only means of transport was by rowing boat and all produce sold had to be taken Maclean or Grafton by this means and supplies brought back.
For many years the pioneers killed their own cattle for meat, usually three or four families sharing the beast. In later Year, George commenced killing his cattle and carting the meat round the district for, for sale. This resulted in a thriving business which was carried on for years by George's son-in-law, George Davison, who later moved to a farm near the McFarlane bridge, where he continued the business.
On the death of James Watson, the farm was divided and both Henry and George purchased more land. Henry married Hannah Biddle and of their five sons and four daughters, the only survivors are John and Elsie (Mrs. A. Stewart), of Maclean. After Henry's retirement, the farm was taken over by his youngest son Clarence, who took an active part in public affairs. He was secretary of the Farmers and Settlers' Association and later was both president and secretary of the Clarence Sugar Executive and president of the N.S.W. Canegrowers' Council. On his retirement to Maclean he was elected an alderman and was Mayor of the municipality for several years. The farm,is now occupied by his son Ralph. George married Clara Golden and of their three sons and six daughters, those surviving are George (Maclean), Esther (Mrs. Raward, Sydney), Clara (Mrs. Lee, Tyndale) and Marion (Mrs. Gale, Sydney). On George's retirement, the farm was taken over by his youngest son Arthur, and since his retirement to Grafton, the farm has been occupied by his son Lloyd. Commencing with the tutoring given George and Henry by their step-mother in the early 1860s, four generations of the Watson family have received their primary education in Tyndale.