Coolamon (map) is a town and local government area located 40 km north of Wagga Wagga and 506 km south-west of Sydney via the Hume and Sturt Highways. Situated on the railway line between Junee and Narrandera, Coolamon has a population of approximately 1300 and is 251 m above sea level.
A property titled Coleman was first settled there by a Mr J. Atkinson (1848). The town was surveyed prior to the coming of the railway; a railway station opened in 1881. Originally called Cowabbie Road, the station name was changed to Coleman and finally later Coolamon in 1895.
Prior to European settlement, the land was occupied by the Kamilaroi and (or) the Wiradjuri. Coolamon comes from the Aboriginal word for a basin-shaped wooden dish made. In the area around the town are thousands of naturally-occurring indentations in the ground called Coolamon Holes which fill with water.
Coolamon is in the wheat belt of NSW and is a leading state producer of wheat and chaff. Wheat was first grown in the area in the 1850's. Traditional sheaf haystacks dot the local flat, clay countryside. In addition to grain the area is also known for its turkeys, wool and lamb.
Coolamon Shire incorporates the communities of Ardlethan, Ashbridge, Beckom, Berry Jerry, Berry Jerry North, Brushwood, Carlisle Park, Coolamon, Cowabbie, Cowabbie West, Derain, Dulah, Ganmain, Grong Grong, Kamarah, Kindra, Kinilabah, Marrar, Matong, Mimosa, Mirrool, Murrulebale, Pamandi, Rannock, Walleroobie, Winchendon Vale and Yarranjerry.
Coolamon GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer Required