Tamworth Regional Council (map) is the major regional centre for southern New England and the government seat of the Tamworth Regional Council Local Government Area. Nationally famous as the 'Country Music Capital of Australia', it is home to the annual Tamworth Country Music Festival.

Tamworth is the traditional home of the Kamilaroi people. The first European settler to pass through the area was explorer John Oxley (1818). In 1831, the first sheep and cattle stations were formed; and in the same year the Australian Agricultural Company (AAC) was granted a lease of 127,000 ha of land at Goonoo Goonoo, south of the present location of Tamworth, extending to present-day Calala.

In the 1830s a company town began to develop on the Peel's southwest bank, the present site of West Tamworth. In 1850 A public town was gazetted on the opposite side of the river from the existing settlement. This town became the main town, called Tamworth after Tamworth, Staffordshire, represented at the time in parliament by Robert Peel. The town prospered and was reached by the railway in 1878.

In 1888 Tamworth was the first town in the Southern Hemisphere to have municipally-operated electric street lighting generated by a newly opened power station. Tamworth was proclaimed a city in 1946 and in 1988 a country music icon, the 12 m tall Golden Guitar is erected as a symbol of the city's country music roots. In 2004, a new local government area 'Tamworth Regional Council' is formed from Tamworth City, Manilla Shire and parts of Parry, Nundle and Barraba Shires.

TamworthGenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer Required

 

 

 

 

 




Return to NorthernGenWeb Hompage

NorthernGenWeb Project

AustraliaGenWeb  NSW Logo WorldGenWeb Project