Walcha (map), known locally as 'Pasture Wonderland' (map), is town and local government area situated approximately two and a half hours drive from the New South Wales coastline. Originally inhabited by the Anaiwan and Dangaddii people, the first European to venture into the area was explorer John Oxley. He arrived in September 1818 and promptly named the local river 'Apsley' after the Secretary of State for the colonies, Lord Apsley.

Hamilton Collins Sempill was the first settler in the area, arriving in 1832; he named the area 'Wolka'. The etymology of Wolka is inconclusive although it is said that Wolka (Walcha) may mean 'sun' or 'water'.

Between 1834 and 1858 a number of settlers joined Sempill, one of whom was David William Jamieson. Jamieson and associates industrialised the region by introducing a flour mill, local store and blacksmith. The first school was established during this period as were the local churches. By 1870 gold fever had struck the region and the population soared.

Walcha was proclaimed a Municipality in 1889; the adjacent Shire of Apsley was proclaimed in 1906. By the turn of the century the town was a thriving local hub with a population of approximately 2,600 (includes surrounding area). In 1955 the Shire of Walcha was constituted by the amalgamation of the Municipality of Walcha and the Shire of Apsley; in 1993 Walcha Shire Council was renamed Walcha Council.

WalchaGenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer Required

 

 

 

 

 

 




Return to NorthernGenWeb Hompage

NorthernGenWeb Project

AustraliaGenWeb  NSW Logo WorldGenWeb Project