Coast is known for it's scenic coastal environments and lush
green vegetation. Seven council shires comprise the Mid-North -
Valley, Coffs Harbour, Greater
Taree, Port Macquarie-Hastings, Kempsey and
Required for the position of Mid-North
West County Coordinator. A County Coordinator maintains the county website
and moderates the existing message board. This is not a difficult position
and anyone with basic web editing experience and a genuine interest in the region is welcome to apply. In addition to web and query
maintenance, a County Coordinator also oversees the local GenWebs within its
region. This duty is non-technical as a County Coordinator operates in an
advisory capacity only.
Existing Local GenWeb Coordinators and non-locals are welcome to apply for the position.
is a small town
and local government area approximately half way between Sydney and Brisbane.
The district is a mixture of valley, plateau and coastal environments.
Locally known as 'Bello' the township lies on the Bellinger
River which, in line with German convention, is spelt 'er' while
the town is spelt 'en'. The traditional inhabitants of the
region were the Gumbaynggir people. Black Jimmy is reported to be the last full-blood
He died in 1922 and is buried in Bellingen Cemetery.
By the 1930s, Bellingen was
harvesting red cedar which was shipped to the mouth of the Bellinger River.
From the 1840s onward red cedar attracted more and more settlers. Bellingen was originally known as Boat
Harbour; it was official named Bellingen in 1870. In the 1890s, Bellingen was selected as the government centre of the
valley due to its location at the tidal limit of the Bellinger River and the availability of fresh water. A period of rapid growth ensued.
By the early 1900s, red cedar supplies were virtually depleted except for those that survived in the
inaccessible upper reaches of the Bellinger Valley. Dairy farming became the major industry;
it continues today albeit to a lesser extent.
is a local government area formed in February 2004 by the
amalgamation of Grafton City, Maclean Shire, and parts of
Copmanhurst, Pristine Waters and the Richmond
Valley. The region includes the coastal plain and
lower valleys of the Clarence and Nymbodia Rivers.
The largest town and council seat is Grafton. Other towns in the
region are Maclean, Yamba, Illuka, Junction Hill, Ulmarra and
Clarence Valley GenWeb Coordinator:
(map) is a coastal city and
local government area approximately 550km north of Sydney
(population circa 62,902). Coffs Harbour is the hub for a thriving banana industry.
The surrounding region is dominated by hinterland hills and
forest covered mountain. It is the only place in Australia where the Great Dividing Range meets the Pacific Ocean.
Coffs Harbour owes its name to Captain John Korff, who named the area Korff's Harbour when he was forced to take shelter from storm in the area in 1847. Its name was accidentally changed by the surveyor for the crown when he reserved land in the area during 1861.
The local government area has recently expanded to include the localities of Red Rock, Corindi and Upper Corindi, previously part of the former Pristine Waters local government authority, the balance of which has been
amalgamated into the Clarence Valley Council to the north. Since this
amalgamation the Coffs Harbour Local Government area has expanded to cover 1,163 km˛.
Harbour GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
Greater Taree City Council
(map) is a
local government area formed in the late 1980s by merging the Shire of Wingham,
the Shire of Taree and the Manning Valley Shire.
includes the towns of Taree, Cundletown, Wingham, Tinonee, Kolodong, Harrington, Manning Point,
Croki, Coopernook, Hannam Vale, Johns River, Stewarts River, Dyers Crossing, Nabiac, Possum Brush and Hallidays Point.
Taree GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a town
and local government area located about 450km north of Sydney and 510km south of Brisbane.
The main regional hub is situated on the coast on the south bank of the entrance of the Hastings River.
The first European
to pass through the area was explorer John Oxley in 1818. He named the location after the Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie.
The river was named in honour of India's Governor General, Sir
Warren Hastings. In 1821, sixty convicts, officers and
their families sailed from Sydney onboard the Lady Nelson, The
Mermaid & The Prince Regent. The contingent was
commanded by Captain Francis Allman.
provided isolation for prisoners, an active timber industry and
the cultivation of tropical fruits. In 1823 the first
sugar cane was cultivated and by 1826 a school house was built
under the instruction of Major Archibald Innes. Free
settlement began in the 1830s; transportation of convicts to
Port Macquarie ended in 1847.
Macquarie-Hastings GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a town and local government area located where the Pacific Highway crosses the Macleay River.
Roughly 450kms north of Sydney and 15kms inland from the coast of the Pacific Ocean, Kempsey Shire
has a population of approximately 27,831. The traditional
inhabitants of the region are the Dunghutti people.
Enoch William Rudder is credited with founding the settlement. He arrived from Birmingham in 1834 and bought land on the southern bank of the river in 1836, at what was then the limit of authorized settlement (the boundary of County Macquarie).
He was initially attracted by the red cedar but planned also to profit by selling parts of his land. He had riverside blocks surveyed and established a private town, with the first blocks sold in November 1836. He called it Kempsey because the surrounding areas reminded him of the Kempsey Valley in Worcestershire.
The main (and most flood-prone) part of Kempsey was founded by John Verge, sub-dividing a grant on the flood-plain opposite Rudder's settlement. In 1854 a government town was surveyed at West Kempsey and government
facilities moved there when it became clear that no town would form around the police station and courthouse at Belgrave Falls. Rudder's settlement was re-named East Kempsey.
Kempsey is the seat of Kempsey Shire Council, which was formed in 1976 by the amalgamation of the former Kempsey Municipality and the Macleay Shire.
Kempsey GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
local government area noted for its scenery and surf. The
traditional inhabitants were the Gumbaynggir and (or) Dainggatti
people. The name derives from a Gumbaynggir term meaning
'entrance to the waters'.
reached the Nambucca River by 1818 in search of escaped
convicts, the region was not formerly noted till 1820 when
explorer John Oxley surveyed the estuary. Cedar-getting
began on the Nambucca River by 1842. The first settler was
a man named Lane who established a ferry service across the
river. By the 1860s cedar-getting was joined by the
cultivation of maize. In the 1880s the area grew rapidly;
a wharf, school, sawmills and hotel were established. By
1885 the village of Nambucca had been proclaimed; local
government was established in 1915.
Valley GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer