The Murray region
(as with the Murrumbidgee region) is often referred to as the Riverina,
a prosperous agricultural
region of south-western New South Wales. The thirteen councils
that comprise the Murray Region are Albury, Balranald,
Berrigan, Conargo, Corowa,
Deniliquin, Greater Hume,
Jerilderie, Murray, Tumbarumba,
Urana, Wakool and Wentworth.
Required for the position of Murray
County Coordinator. A County Coordinator maintains the county website
and moderates the existing message board. This is not a difficult position
and anyone with basic web editing experience and a genuine interest in the region is welcome to apply. In addition to web and query
maintenance, a County Coordinator also oversees the local GenWebs within its
region. This duty is non-technical as a County Coordinator operates in an
advisory capacity only.
Existing Local GenWeb Coordinators and non-locals are welcome to apply for the position.
Rootsweb's AUS-NSW-CENTRAL mailing list
- suitable for anyone with a
genealogical interest in the Central District; includes the
towns of Nyngan, Dubbo, Parkes, Wagga Wagga, Albury,
Griffith and Deniliquin.
Rootsweb's AUS-NSW-WEST mailing list -
suitable for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Western
District from the South Australian border to
Brewarrina down to Balranald; includes the towns of Broken
Hill, Wentworth, Balranald, Hay, Nyngan, Cobar, Bourke and
Rootsweb's AUS-NSW-RIVERINA mailing list - suitable for anyone with a
genealogical interest in the Riverina District; includes the
towns of Albury, Balranald, Berrigan,
Deniliquin, Finley, Griffith, Hay, Hillston, Jerilderie,
Leeton, Narrandera, Wagga Wagga, West Wyaling and surrounding
districts from the Murray River north to the Lachlan.
(map) is a city
located on the Hume Highway on the Northern side of the Murray
River (population circa 46,500). It is approximately 550 km from the state capital Sydney, but only 312 km from the Victorian capital Melbourne. It is separated by the Murray from its twin city in Victoria, Wodonga.
remainders of the indigenous population of the area
exist. The Wiradjuri people are believed to have arrived in the area not long before
the European explorers Hume and Hovell who arrived at what is now known as the Murray river at Albury
in November 1824. The area was labelled on their map as
Crossing Point; they named the river the Hume River and subsequently
inscribed the name in a tree by the riverbank before continuing their journey south to Westernport.
Among the first squatters to follow in the steps of the explorers and settle in the district were William Wyse and Charles Ebden.
A crossing place for the Murray became popular close to the Hovell
tree inscription. In summer it was usually possible to cross the river by foot. An easier crossing was 10 miles upstream where the Hume Weir now is, however, the drovers' tracks led to Albury.
The first buildings erected at the crossing place were provisions store and small huts.
On early maps, the settlement was named Bungambrewatha. The reason for the name change from Bungambrewatha to Albury is not
documented. By 1847 Albury settlement included two public houses and a hand full of huts, a Police Barracks and blacksmiths. A log punt established in 1844 serviced the crossing of the Murray River.
In 1851 with the separation of Victoria from New South Wales and the border falling on the Murray River, Albury found itself a frontier town. And with increase in commerce with Melbourne the first bridge was built in 1860. Albury at this time became a customs post between the two colonies as New South Wales held a protectionist stance on gaining its constitution in 1856.
Albury was in this time starting to grow substantially with Germans using the area to grow grapes for wine, and escaping the growing nationalism in Germany. Albury boasted by the 1870s a butter factory, flour mill, wineries and locally brewed cider.
In 1872 the broad gauge railway line from Melbourne reached the township of
Belvior/Wodonga, and in 1881 the New South Wales railway line reached Albury, with a railway bridge being built in 1883 making Albury the stop over where passengers on the Melbourne-Sydney journey had to change trains until 1963 when a standard
gauge was put all the way between the two capitals. In 1888 Albury built its first school house. And the cities first mayor James Fallon was an
innovator of the Public School funding a demonstration High School to be built on Kiewa Street.
Albury's proximity to Wodonga has spurred several efforts to achieve some kind of municipal governmental union
(Albury-Wodonga). Albury Shire currently incorporates
the communities of Albury, Corrys Wood, East Albury,
Ettamogah, Glenroy, Hamilton Valley, Hume Weir, Jindera,
lake Hume Village, Lavington, Mungabareena, North Albury,
South Albury, Splitters Creek, Springdale Heights, St Hilaire,
Table Top, Thurgoona, West Albury and Wirlinga.
a town and local government area located in a remote,
semi-desert area of NSW (population circa 1,476). It is
one of the oldest settlements on the Lower Murrumbidgee
River. Local industries include sheep, woodcutting,
charcoal production and some river bound, irrigated crops.
The town of
Balranald is located where the Sturt Highway crosses the
Murrumbidgee River. The Burke and Wills expedition
passed through Balranald on their way from Melbourne to the
Gulf of Carpentaria. It is claimed that the first
telephone in Australia was used at nearby Yanga Station, to
communicate between the homestead and the shearing sheds
(introduced courtesy of the nephew of Alexander Graham Bell).
Balranald Shire is the location of World Heritage listed Mungo National Park.
It incorporates the communities of Balranald, Banon, Benanee,
Bidura, Boree Plains, Brassbutt, Clare, Clare Alma, Corrong,
Euston, Glen Dee, Hatfield, Kyalite, Manfred, Mossgiel, Mungo,
Oxley, Penarie, Red Bank Weir, The Vale, Til Til, Tin Tin,
Tupra and Turlee.
(map) a town
and local government area located on the Murray River in the Riverina Region
(population circa 953). The Berrigan Shire incorporates
the communities of Barooga, Berrigan, Boomanoomana, Finely,
Geraki, Green Swamp Road, Jerilderie, Lalalty, Langunya,
Leniston, Monaro Vale, Mount Gwynne, Mulwala, Pine Lodge,
Savernake, The Drop, The Retreat, Tocumwal and the Tocumwal
town and local government area located in the southern Riverina bordering the Jerilderie and Deniliquin
councils (population circa 1,417). Conargo Shire
incorporates the communities of Barratta, Birganbigil,
Blighty, Blue Gate, Boonoke, Booroorban, Bundy, Bundyyulumblah,
Caromar, Conargo, Coree, Dahwilly, Delta, Deniliquin, Devon,
Epsoms Downs, Finley, Four Corenrs, Goolgumbla, Hartwood,
Jerilderie, Lindifferon, Mayrung, Mookara, Moonbria, Morago,
Moulamein, Mundiwa, Murgha, Myrtle Park, Pin Lodge, Pretty
Pine, Puckawidgee, Retreat, Steam Plains, Stud Park, Sutton
Park, Tchelery, Tuppal, Wandook, Wanganella, Willurah,
Windouran, Woorooma and Zara.
(map) is a town
and local government area located on the bank of the Murray
River. In the 1890s, Corowa was the site of several important conferences leading to the federation of the various colonies into the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901.
incorporates the communities of Balldale, Bull PLain, Buraja,
Carnsdale, Coads Tank, Collendina, Coreen, Corowa, Daysdale,
Hopefield, Howlong, Lowersdale, Merton Vale, Morebringer,
Mulwala, redalnds, Renniw, Ringwood, Sanger, Savernake and
(or Deni as it is locally known)
(map) is a small town in the Riverina region
of New South Wales close to the border of Victoria (population
circa 7,786). The surrounding area is primarily involved in rice cultivation. The town itself is a significant regional
hub. Deniliquin Council incorporates the suburbs of
Deniliquin, Deniliquin North and Deniliquin South.
Greater Hume Shire
is a local government area (LGA) formed in 2004 incorporating Culcairn Shire, the majority of Holbrook Shire and part of Hume Shire.
The Shire is crossed by the Hume, Olympic and Riverina Highways.
Hume shire incorporates the communities of Alma Park,
Balldale, Bowna, Brocklesby, Bulgandry, Bungowannah,
Burrumbuttock, Carabost, Cookardinia, Coppabella, Culcairn,
Dora Dora, Downfalls, Fellow Hills, Garryowen, Gerogery,
Glenellen, Glossop, Goombargana, henty, Holbrook, Jindera,
Jingellic, Lankeys Creek, Little Billabong, Morrwatha, Morven,
Mountain Creek, Mullengandra, Ralvona, Rosewood, Table Top,
Talmalmo, Walbundrie, Walla Walla, Wantagong, Woomargama,
Wymah and Yarara.
is a town
and local government area situated on Billabong Creek.
The Shire borders Urana, Berrigan, Conargo and Murrumbidgee councils. It can be found along the Newell Highway 674 kilometres southwest of Sydney and 60 kilometres north of the Victorian state border.
An irrigated farming centre, the area around Jerilderie produces a quarter of all tomatoes grown in
Australia. It is also a prime Merino stud region. Additionally Jerilderie has a diverse number of crops such as rice, wheat, canola, mung
beans, soya beans, onions, liquorice, grapes and a number of cattle farms.
The Jerilderie Shire Council was declared in 1918 after the amalgamation of the former Municipality of Jerilderie (1889-1918) and Wunnamurra Shire (1906-1918).
It currently incorporates the communities of Algudgerie,
Argoon, Berrigan, Booroobanilly, Broome, Broughshane, Bundure, Fairlie Grange, Finley, Gala Vale, Jerilderie, Jerilderie North, Kooringal, Logie Brae, Mabins Well,
Mairjimmy, Neyliona, North Coree, North Yathong, Nyora, One Oak North, Pooginook Merion Stud, South
Coree, Stud Park North, Wononga, Wood Park, Woodside, Wunnamurra,
Yamma, Yanko and Yooroobla.
was developed in the 1840s by squatters following the route of the overlanders as they drove cattle from Sydney to Adelaide in the late 1830's.
From the 1860's onwards, the selectors, mainly from Victoria, moved onto the squatter's land, their interest agriculture. The settlements of Moama and Mathoura survived over the years as centres for the movement of agriculture produce and the growth of the timber industry. The area covered by the Shire of Murray today is unique. The Cadell Fault, which changed the course of the Murray River about 30,000 years ago traverses the area from north to
south; while the Murray River system supports one of the largest River Red Gum forests in the world.
Shire incorporates the communities of Barmah, Barnes, Brassi, Bullatale, Bunnaloo, Caldwell, Calimo, Cornalla, Cummeragunja, Deniliquin, Gulpa, Hill Plain, Maloga, Mathoura, Moama, Moira, Moonahcullah, Old Cobram, Peedro, Perricoota, Pincin Point, Stevens Weir, Tantonan, Tarragon, Tataila, Thule, Thyra, Tumudeery, Walliston, Warbreccan, Werai, Womboota and Yallakool.
(map) is a small town and
local government area situated about 500kms southwest of Sydney
(population circa 3,727). Located on the south west slopes of the Snowy
Mountains, to the east of Mount Kosciuszko, the Shire's southern boundary is the Murray
River. The community was established in the 1850s
following the discovery of gold; gold mining petered out in the
1930s. The region now relies on agriculture and tourism
with the timber industry dominating the Shire’s economy.
It is thought that the name Tumbarumba may derive from the Wiradjuri dhamba
dhamba, which means very soft.
Tumbararumba Shire incorporates the communities of Bago, Brinfenbrong, Bringenbrong Lower, Burra, Courabyra, Geehi, Glenroy, Green Hills, Greg Greg, Hardys Mill, Indi, Jagumba, Jagungal Wilderness, Jingellic, Khancoban, Kosciusko, Kosciuszko, Laurel Hill, Mannus, Maragle, Mount Kosciuszko, Munderoo, Murray Gorge, Murrays Crossing, Nurenmerenmong, Ogilvies, Ournie, Paddys River, Piolt Wildereness, Pound Creek, Rippling Water, Rosewood, Sue City, Taradale, The Glen, Tom Groggin, Tooma, Tumbarumba, Welaregang, Welaregang North, Westdale, Willigobung, Wolseley Park and Wolsley Park.
(map) is a town
and local government area located between Lockhart and Jerilderie about 578 kilometres southwest of
Sydney; sheep and grain are the primary industries. First settled by Europeans in the 1850s,
the shire was proclaimed in 1906. Urana is known as the place where the notorious bushranger, Dan 'Mad Dog' Morgan turned to highway robbery on 20 August 1863, when he and an accomplice held up the Wagga Police Magistrate
Urana Shire incorporates the communities of Boonoke North,
Boonongo, Boree Creek, Bundure, Cocketgedong, Coonong, Coorabin,
Cullivel, Daysdale, Greenvale, Morundah, Oaklands, Rand, Urana, Urana South, Widgiewa and
(map) is a Local Government Area located between the Murray River and the Murrumbidgee River and on the Sturt Highway.
The Council of the Shire of Wakool incorporates the communities of
Balpool, Barham, Barham East, Baraham North, Bonum, Burraboi,
Chowar, Cobramunga, Cochran Creek, Condouple, Coobool, Coobool Island, Crestwood,
Cunninyeuk, Dhuragoon, Dilpurra, Gonn, Goodnight, Impini, Jawbone,
Jimaringle, Keri Keri, Koraleigh, Kyalite, Liewah, Mallan,
Mellool, Merran Creek, Moolpa, Moulamein, Murray Downs, Nacurrie,
Niemur, Niemur Estate, Noorong, Perekerten, Rangemore, Speewa, Stony Crossing, Swan Hill, Thule, Tooleybuc,
Tooranie, Tueloga, Tulla, Tullaburra, Tullakool, Wakool,
Waugorah, Wetuppa, Yagchow, Yanga, Yangalake and Yarrein.
(map) is a town and
local government area located at the confluence of the Murray
and Darling Rivers. During the late 1800s it was an important river
port but with the development of the railway river shipping ceased.
Named after the explorer and politician William Charles
Wentworth, the area was proclaimed a municipality on 23 January,
Wentworth Shire incorporates the communities of Ana Branch, Anabranch, Arumpo, Avoca, Balcatherine, Boeill Creek, Bruces Bend, Bunnerungee, Buronga, Burtundy, Cal Lal, Camborn, Colerainie, Coomealla, Curlwaa, Dareton, Darling view, Devils Elbow, Ellerslie, Ellersile North, Garnpang, Gol Gol, Gol Gol Lake, Gol Gol North, Karpa Kora, Kerribee, Lake Victoria, Lock Eight, Lock Seven, Monak, Moorna, Mount Dispersion, Mourquong, Neilpo, Palinyewah, Pan Ban, Para, Paringi, Polia, Pomona, Pooncarie, Rufus River, Tapaulin, Tapio, Trentham Cliffs, Wentworth, Williamsville, Windamingle, Wingillie and Woodlands.