The Murrumbidgee region
or Riverina as it is commonly known, is a prosperous agricultural
region of south-western New South Wales (population circa 200,000).
It comprises the agricultural and pastoral areas west of the Great Dividing Range, south of the Murrumbidgee River (although parts of it are north of the Murrumbidgee, such as Griffith) and north of the Murray River (where it forms the border between NSW and
Victoria). Thirteen councils comprise the Murrumbidgee
(Riverina) region including Carrathool, Coolamon,
Gundagai, Hay, Junee,
Leeton, Lockhart, Murrumbidgee,
and Wagga Wagga.
Required for the position of Murrumbidgee
County Coordinator. A County Coordinator maintains the county website
and moderates the existing message board. This is not a difficult position
and anyone with basic web editing experience and a genuine interest in the region is welcome to apply. In addition to web and query
maintenance, a County Coordinator also oversees the local GenWebs within its
region. This duty is non-technical as a County Coordinator operates in an
advisory capacity only.
Existing Local GenWeb Coordinators and non-locals are welcome to apply for the position.
Rootsweb's AUS-NSW-CENTRAL mailing list
- suitable for anyone with a
genealogical interest in the Central District; includes the
towns of Nyngan, Dubbo, Parkes, Wagga Wagga, Albury,
Griffith and Deniliquin.
Rootsweb's AUS-NSW-RIVERINA mailing list - suitable for anyone with a
genealogical interest in the Riverina District; includes the
towns of Albury, Balranald, Berrigan,
Deniliquin, Finley, Griffith, Hay, Hillston, Jerilderie,
Leeton, Narrandera, Wagga Wagga, West Wyaling and surrounding
districts from the Murray River north to the Lachlan.
is a local government area situated on the Mid-Western Highway,
north of the Sturt Highway. The largest town is Hillston and the council seat is Goolgowi.
Where once regular droughts made life almost untenable, the area now has irrigated crops, gardens, greened sporting facilities and village verges. Over 15,000 square kilometres are
used in rural pursuits, including more than 600 km˛ in wheat, rice, vineyards, cotton, potatoes, vegetables and orchard trees.
Change was made possible by the widespread use of river and underground water.
Shire incorporates the communities of Ballandry, Ballyrogan,
Benerembah, Binya, Boorga, Bringagee, Budawong, Bunda,
Carlisle, Carolgi, Carrathool, Coonara, Cowl Cowl, East
Marowie, Eastholme, Erigolla, Goolgowi, Griffith, Groongal,
Groongal North, Gunbar, Hillston, Hunthawang, Lake Brewster,
Langtree, McKinley, Melbergen, Merri Merrigal, Merriwagga,
Monia Gap, Mossgiel, Myall Park, Pindori, Rankins Springs,
Rothdene, Roto, Stackpoole, Tabbita, The Peak, Trida, Uardry,
Waabalong, Wallanthery, Wee Elwah, Whealbah, White Top, Wilga,
Willandra, Willbriggie, Wyvern, Yenda and Yoolarai.
(map) is a town
and local government area located 40 km north of Wagga Wagga and 506 km south-west of Sydney via the Hume and Sturt Highways.
Situated on the railway line between Junee and Narrandera,
Coolamon has a population of approximately 1300 and is 251 m above sea level.
titled Coleman was first settled there by a Mr J. Atkinson
(1848). The town was surveyed prior to the coming of the railway;
a railway station opened in 1881. Originally called Cowabbie Road, the station name was
changed to Coleman and finally later Coolamon in
Prior to European settlement,
the land was occupied by the Kamilaroi and (or) the Wiradjuri.
Coolamon comes from the Aboriginal word for a basin-shaped wooden dish made.
In the area around the town are thousands of naturally-occurring indentations in the ground called Coolamon Holes which fill with water.
Coolamon is in the wheat belt of NSW and is a leading state producer of wheat and chaff. Wheat was first grown in the area in the 1850's.
Traditional sheaf haystacks dot the local flat, clay countryside.
In addition to grain the area is also known for its turkeys, wool
Coolamon Shire incorporates the communities of Ardlethan,
Ashbridge, Beckom, Berry Jerry, Berry Jerry North, Brushwood,
Carlisle Park, Coolamon, Cowabbie, Cowabbie West, Derain, Dulah,
Ganmain, Grong Grong, Kamarah, Kindra, Kinilabah, Marrar,
Matong, Mimosa, Mirrool, Murrulebale, Pamandi, Rannock,
Walleroobie, Winchendon Vale and Yarranjerry.
(map) is a town and
local government area located on the Olympic Highway at the point where it crosses the Muttama
Creek between Junee and Cowra. Although it is bypassed by the Hume Highway, its railway station is on the major Melbourne-to-Sydney line.
The land where Cootamundra now stands is a part of the Wiradjuri tribal
lands; the name probably derived from the Wiradjuri word 'guudhamang'
which means turtle. Cootamundra was incorporated as a township
in 1861; with Europeans purchasing land in 1862. Like many other towns in the
Riverina it was originally populated by those attracted by the gold rush of the
1860s. It became a quiet, yet prosperous, agricultural community after the local deposits were exhausted.
Today, Cootamundra has a population of about 6000 people, with another 2000 living on outlying farms.
Shire incorporates the communities of Brawlin, Carinyah,
Cootamundra, Cullinga, Dudauman, Frampton, Gundibindyal,
Jindalee, Jugiong, Kilrush, Kyron, Landgrove, Meemar, Morrisons
Hill, Stockinbingal, Wallendbeen, Willows, Yannawah and Yeo Yeo.
(map) is a
town and local government area designed by Walter Burley
Griffin. Named after Sir Arthur Griffith the first New
South Wales minister of Public Works, Griffith was proclaimed a
city in 1987. The entire area of the City of Griffith has an approximate population of
circa 25,000 and a catchment population of approximately 50,000.
The area was first established in 1916 as part of the Australian Federal Government's Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area (MIA) project.
The aim was to supply irrigation from the Murrumbidgee river in western New South Wales to
encourage farming such as citrus and rice.
From its earliest days, the MIA was populated by Italian workers, some of whom were initially employed by Australian farmers to run steamboats on the Murrumbidgee and Murray Rivers. Approximately
60% of today's Griffith population claim Italian
background. This includes the initial settlement of
Italians who relocated to Australia during the Depression; and a second wave of immigrants who
arrived in Griffith in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Many Italians in Griffith are from the Veneto region or the Calabria region of Italy.
Only a small proportion (approximately 25%) claim Anglo-Saxon ancestry.
Griffith's multi-cultural population includes significant Sikh Indian
and Tongan communities.
Griffith is the cathedral city of the Anglican Diocese of Riverina. The foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Alban the Martyr was dedicated in 1954. It was proclaimed as a cathedral in 1984.
incorporates the areas of Ballingall, Beelbangera, Benerembah,
Bilbul, Collina, Darlington Point, Driver, Ellimo, Griffith,
Griffith Centre, Griffith East, Griffith North, Griffith South,
Griffith West, Hanwood, Kooba, Lake Wyangan, Mayfair, Mirrool
Irrigation Area, Mooreville, Mount Bingar, Myall Park, Nericon,
Pioneer, Somerton Park, Tabbita, Tharbogang, Three Way Bridge,
Warburn, Warrawidgee, West End, Whitton, Wickhams Hill,
Widgelli, Willbriggie, Willow Dam, Wumbulgal, Yenda and Yoogali.
(map) is a town and
local government area located on the Murrumbidgee River 390 km south-west of
Sydney (population circa 3,792). The floodplains of the Murrumbidgee,
which lie below the present town of Gundagai, were a frequent meeting place of the
Wiradjuri people. Traditional bora rings have been identified close to
town. Gundagai derives from the Wiradjuri word 'Gundaghar'
as recorded by R H Mathews - 'gunda' means place of, while 'ghar'
means bird - i.e. place of birds.
Australian-born explorer Hamilton Hume and British immigrant William Hovell were the first Europeans to visit when they passed through Gundagai in
1824. Later Charles Sturt ventured into the area at the start of his voyage to the mouth of the Murray River.
At the time of Sturt's 1829 journey, he found several settlers in the
district. Henry O'Brien had established himself at
Jugiong; William Warby at Mingay; and brothers Peter and Henry Stuckey
had settled at Willie Ploma and Tumblong.
incorporates the communities of Abingdon, Adjungbilly, Big Ben,
Black Station Creek, Bongalong, Nongongalong, Brawlin Springs,
Bunarbo, Bungongo, Burra, Burra Creek, Cooba, Coolac, Darbalara,
Deltroit, Edwardstown, Five Mile, Gobarralong, Gundagai,
Gundillowah, Gunnong Jugrawah, Jacklass, Jermiah, Jones Creek,
Jugiong, Kangaroo Mount, Kimo, Kimovale, Mingay, Mundarlo,
Muttama, Nanangroe, Nangus, North Gundadai, Parson's Creek,
Pettitts, Reno, Sandy Falls, South Gundadai, Spring Flat,
Tarrabandra, Tucker Box, Tumblong, Wagragobilly, Wambidgee,
Wattle Valley, Willie Ploma, Yabtree and Yammatree.
is a town and local government
area situated at the junction of the Sturt and Mid-Western
Highways. Located on the north bank of the Murrumbidgee
River, Hay was settled in the mid 1800s. The main industries are
sheep farming and irrigated agriculture along the rivers.
Hay Shire incorporates the communities
of Benarca, Benduck, Booligal, Burrabogie, Cobran, Eurolie,
Eurugabah, Geramy, Hay, Hay Irrigation Area, Hay South, Hay
West, Illilliwa, Maude, Nap Nap, Newmarket, Nulabor, One Tree,
Oxley, Pevensey, Ravensworth, Thelangerin, Toogimbie and
(map) is a small town and local government area
situated on the Olympic Way and the main southern railway line, 40 km northeast of Wagga Wagga, southwest of Cootamundra, approximately 470 km southwest of Sydney and 220 km northwest of
Canberra (population circa 6000). Its name originates from the local Aboriginal phrase
'speak to me'.
Initially a pastoral lease, Junee grew as a town during the gold rushes that took place in the area from
mid 1860 to mid 1880. It became prosperous from the early 1880s when the main railway line from Sydney to Melbourne was built through
the centre of Junee vastly increasing agricultural
The railway defined the character of Junee for nearly 100 years. Evidence of this exists in hotels and railway buildings that are still faithfully maintained in accordance with architectural standards of their day. While the railway still contributes to the local economy, its contribution has reduced since the 1970s.
Many locals credit A J J (John) Thompson, appointed as town clerk in 1970, as the
'Father of Modern Junee' for his vision of the town's future and for taking the hard decisions that were needed to keep the town alive.
This period saw Junee accept that income from the railways was on the decline and that growth was going to come from diverse areas. Land was allocated for new development and housing with assistance from the State Government. Local producers were encouraged to diversify and increase the quality of their produce. New businesses were sought for the town. As a result, Junee is now known for its lamb and high quality crops of wheat, canola, oats, barley and triticale. A manufacturing sector has also evolved with emphasis on steel engineering, meat processing and organic flour.
incorporates the communities of Bendure, Bethungra, Bethungra
South, Bute, Coreena, Coursing Park, Dirnaseer, Downside, Erin
Vale, Eurongilly, Harfield, Illabo, Ironbong, Junee, Junee
North, Junee Reefs, Marinna, Marrar, Mitta Mitta, Nangus, Old
Junee, Retreat, Retreat East, Rock View, Wallacetown,
Wantabadgery, Wantiool and Yathella.
is a town and local
government area situated approximately 550 km west of Sydney and 450 km north of Melbourne in the productive Murrumbidgee Irrigation
Area (population circa 12,041). Primary produce includes citrus, rice, grapes and wheat.
Leeton is home to the SunRice headquarters; Vetta Pasta Company;
Berri Juices; Rockdale Beef; and Murrumbidgee Irrigation.
It holds a number of town landmarks including the famous Roxy Theatre, War Memorial, Madonna Place, St Peter's
Church and the Historic Hydro Motor Inn which are located in the centre of town.
Leeton is based around large towers that store the towns water.
Designed by Walter Burley Griffin,
the town was built to compliment the irrigation schemes announced by the NSW Government in the early
1900s. With a unique circular road structure and
streetscape, Leeton has distinct commercial, administrative, industrial, residential, educational, health, recreational and cultural areas.
Leeton Shire incorporates the
communties of Amesbury, Apostles Yard, Calorafield, Colando,
Corbie Hill, Cudgel, Dallas, Darlington Point, Euroley, Five
Bridges, Fivebough, Gogeldrie, Gogeldrie North, Gogeldrie South,
Gogeldrie Weir, Gralee, Griffth, Koonadan, Leeton, Leeton North,
Merungle Hill, Murrami, Parkview, Roach, Stanbridge, Stoney
Point, Uroly, Wamoon, Wattle Hill, Whitton, Whitton South,
Willimbong, Yanco, Yarmawl and Yenda.
(map) is a town
and local government area in the Riverina Region.
Originally known as Greens Gunyah, in honour of Mr Green an
early settler who ran a tavern on the Urana - Wagga Wagga stagecoach
route, the town was renamed Lockhart in 1897. Lockhart Shire was created in 1906 and is an agricultural and pastoral
area (population circa 1,302).
incorporates the communities of Bidgeemia, Birdlip, Boree
Creek, Brookong, Brookong North, Bullenbong, Edgehill, Fargunyah,
French Park, Galore, Grubben, Henty, Kubura, Lockhart, Long
Park, Milbrulong, Mundawaddra, Munyabla, Osborne, Pleasant Hill,
Ryan, The Rock, Tootool, Urangeline, Urangeline East, Wppdend,
Wrathall and Yerong Creek.
Murrumbidgee Shire (map) is a local government area (population circa
2,662). The main regional centre is Darlington Point which
is situated 605 km west of Sydney, via the Hume and Sturt
Highways. Primary industries are agriculture and
Shire incorporates the communities of Clifford Downs,
Coleambally, Cooinbil, Darlington Point, Dirrung, Ercildoune,
Four Corners, Gum Creek, Toganmain, Tubbo, Uri East and Waddi.
(map) is a town
and local government area situated on the junction of the Newell and Sturt Highways
(population circa 4,119). Its attractive tree-lined streets contrast with the open plains that surround it. The central Narrandera Memorial Gardens include an unusual ceramic fountain made by Royal Doulton and erected as a memorial to World War 1 in 1922.
Narrandera marks the transition between an extensive dry-land area devoted to cereal crops and sheep and wool production to the east, and, to the west, the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area (MIA) fed by water from the Burrinjuck Dam. The MIA is a region where irrigation has opened the way to a diversity of enterprise, from the growing of rice and other cereals under irrigation to the production of citrus, wine grapes and potatoes.
Narrandera Shire incorporates the communities of
Ardlethan, Barellan, Bells Estate, Berembed, Berembed Weir,
Binya, Birrego, Boree Creek, Brewarrena, Brobenah, Buckingbong,
Colinroobie, Corobmilla, Dixonville, Faithfull, Galore,
Garoolgan, Gillenbah, Grong Grong, Jacksons Water Hole, Kamarah,
Kywong, Lake Midgeon, Landervale, Matong, Merribee, Midgeon,
Moombooldool, Mount Grystal, Narrandera, Paynters Crossing,
Paynters Siding, Pine Hill, Pine Hills, Poison Waterhole,
Sandigo and Yanco Weir.
is a town
and local government area (population circa 6,337).
Situated in the western Riverina, Temora has a variety of agricultural and farming industries. It has the second largest honey producer in
Australia and is the location for the Temora Aviation
Museum. Temora began as a pastoral station in the mid nineteenth century. Gold was discovered later in the area, and a small village established. A railway line came to Temora in 1897.
incorporates the communities of Ariah Park, Bagdad, Bectric,
Chellingston, Clear Hills, Combaning, Combaning South, Coolamon,
Dinga Dinga, Gidginbung, Grogan, Mimosa, Mirrool, Narraburra,
Pucawan, Quandary, Reefton, Sebastopol, Springdale, Tara,
Temora, Trungley, Trungley Hall, Wallundry and Young.
Australia's fifth largest inland city lying on the Murrumbidgee
River (population circa 57,000). An important agricultural, military, educational and transport
hub, it is home to 22 primary schools, eight secondary schools a regional Institute of TAFE
(18 campuses) and one of the four main campuses of Charles Sturt
University. As well as a Base Hospital, Wagga Wagga is
also home to the Kapooka Army Base and the Wagga Wagga RAAF
incorporates the suburbs of Alferdtown, Arajoel, Ashmont,
Belfrayden, Big Springs, Bomen, Bon Accord, Book Book, Boorooma,
Borambola, Bourkelands, Brookdale, Brucedale, Bulgary,
Bullenbong, Burranda, Burrandana, Cartwrights Hill, Charles
Sturt University, Coffin Rock, Collingullie, Coolamon, Coreinbob,
Cottee, Currawananna, Dhulura, Downside, East Wagga Wagga,
Estella, Euberta, Eunonoreenya, Flowerdale, Forest Hill, Frog
Hollow, Galore, Ganmain, Ganmurra, Gelston Park, Glenfield Park,
Gobbagombalin, Gregadoo, Gumly Gumly, Harefield, Henwood Park,
Hillgrove, Humula, Kapooka, Kapooka Military Camp, Kockibitoo,
Kooringal, Kyeamba, Ladysmith, Lake Albert, Livingstone,
Livingstone Gully, Lloyd, Lockhart, Lower Tarcutta, Malebo,
Mangain, Mangoplah, Marrar, matong, Maxwell, Millwood, Moorong,
Mount Austin, Murraguldrie, North Wagga Wagga, Oberne Creek,
Oura, Pearson, Pomingalarna, Pulletop, Rowan, San Isidore,
Sheahan, Shepherds, South Wagga Wagga, Springvale, Tamboola,
Tarcutta, Tatton, The Gap, The Rock, Tolland, Tooles Creek,
Tooyal, Turvey Park, Umbango, Umbango Creek, Uranquinty, Wagga,
Wagga Wagga, Wagga Wagga RAAF Base, Wallacetwon, Wantabadgery,
Westbrook, Westby, Yarragundry.