West of NSW is also known as the Orana region.
Ecologically and culturally diverse, it is located in the
mid-northwest and covers approximately 199,078 square kilometres
(population circa 101,300). Twelve council shires
comprise the North West - Bogan, Bourke,
Brewarrina, Cobar, Coonamble,
Dubbo, Gilgandra, Narromine,
Walgett, Warren, Warrumbungle and
Required for the position of North
County Coordinator. A County Coordinator maintains the county website
and moderates the existing message board. This is not a difficult position
and anyone with basic web editing experience and a genuine interest in the region is welcome to apply. In addition to web and query
maintenance, a County Coordinator also oversees the local GenWebs within its
region. This duty is non-technical as a County Coordinator operates in an
advisory capacity only.
Existing Local GenWeb Coordinators and non-locals are welcome to apply for the position.
Rootsweb's AUS-NSW-WEST mailing list -
for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Western
region of NSW from the South Australian border to
Brewarrina down to Balranald; includes the towns of Broken
Hill, Wentworth, Balranald, Hay, Nyngan, Cobar, Bourke and
Bogan Shire Council
local government area of which Nyngan is the significant
town. The shire is supported by agricultural production, sheep,
cattle and wheat. The Municipality of Nyngan was proclaimed on
17 February 1891, while Bogan Shire was incorporated in 1906;
the two councils amalgamated in 1972.
Bogan shire currently incorporates the communities of Babinda,
Balgay, Bobadah, Buddabadah, Buttabone, Byrock, Canobna,
Canonbar, Colane, Coolabah, Five Ways, Girilambone, Grahweed,
Hermidale, Honeybugle, Merryanbone, Miandetta, Mirilba, Monkey
Bridge, Moonagee, Mudall, Mulla, Muriel, Murrawombie, Nyngan,
Pangee, Pangee Park, Quinine park, The Glen, Thorndale,
Trowell Creek, Warrigal and Widgeland.
Bogan GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a town and
local government area located approximately 800 kilometres north-west of Sydney, on the south bank of the Darling
River (known upstream as the Barwon). Bourke has a population
circa 4,000 of which 50% are Indigenous
Bourke was first reached by British settlers in the 1820s
who named the town Prattenville; later in the 1830s it was
renamed after Governor Richard Bourke of New South Wales
During the 1840s white settlers began to push into the western
region. Violent struggles took place between the
Aboriginals and white settlers and while many white settlers
fell at the hands of the local inhabitants, an even greater
number of local indigenous died through the introduction of European
1859 Bourke was established as a paddle boat destination;
surveyed in 1862 it became a major inland port on the Darling
River. By 1885 the railway reached Bourke
(the line was closed in 1989 after flooding caused significant damage to the
Shire incorporates the communities of Barringun, Beemery,
Belalie, Boorindal, Bourke, Brindingabba, Byrock, Cornerstone
Community, Dry Lake, Enngonia, Fords Bridge, Grass Hut,
Gumbalie, Gunderbooka, Hungerford, Janina, Lauradale, Louth,
Mount Mulyah, North Bourke, Pera Bore, Rainbar, Rathgar,
Toorale East, Wanaaring, Warraweena, Winbar, Yantabulla and
Bourke GenWeb Coordinator:
a small town and local government area on the banks of the
Darling River (population circa 2,000). It is situated
98 km east of Bourke and west of Walgett on the Kamilaroi
Highway. Brewarrina was traditionally an inter-tribal
meeting place. Fishing traps or Ngunnhu were constructed
by the Aboriginal people in order to sustain the population
during tribal gatherings. The fisheries are estimated to
be at least 40,000 years old and may well be the oldest
man-made structure on earth.
white settlers arrived in the district crica 1839; the Lawson
brothers being the first European land owners. In 1859 a
riverboat called Gemini, skippered by William Randell,
arrived in Brearrina. This led to the development of a
port and by the early 1860s Brewarrina was recognised as the
furthest navigable point on the Darling River.
Shire incorporates the communties of Belvedere, Bokara, Bokara
Plains, Bow Creek, Brenda, Brewarrina, Brewarrina North,
Brewarrina West, Briery Park, Bukulla, Bulabulah, Burban
Grange, Byrock, Caringle, Cartlands, Cedars, Charlton,
Collerina, Compton Downs, Coolaburra, Derra, Glenariff,
Gongolgon, Goodooga, Kentucky, Marra Downs, Mogila,
Mulgawarrina, Mundaoo, Muniwa, Narran Lake, Narran Plains, New
Angledool, Talawanta, Tarcoon, Tarrion, Wave Hill,
Weilmoringle, Willamurra and Yarrawin.
is a town and local
government area situated at the cross roads of Kidman Way and Barrier Highways
(population circa 5,300). Its name is derived from the indigenous
Ngiyampaa Kuparr. Some of the most significant Aboriginal rock art in NSW is within the shire. The Indigenous Ngiyampaa Wangaapuwan traditions of this diverse bio-region are best represented in the Aboriginal rock art of Mount Grenfell
(40 km west of Cobar) where over 1300 depictions of humans, hand stencils and animals
Early settlement followed the discovery of a copper deposit in
1870. At the peak of the Australia European & Asian gold rush,
Cobar and its outskirts accommodated the miners of the late
1880s. Copper mining eventaully ceased in 1920. By
the 1980s gold, silver, lead and zinc had been discovered. The town's development is distinct, afforded by the affluence of the mining boom. Three
major mining belts operate within the area - Cobar, Canbelego and
Several heritage buildings from the late 1880s settlement are open to visitors, including the Great Western Hotel (1898), reputed to have the longest verandah in the Southern Hemisphere. The Festival of the Miners Ghost, held during the last weekend in October, is a festival celebrating the spirits of the old miners.
Shire incorporates the communities of Archriall, Barnato,
Belarbon, Booberoi, Boppy Mount, Bulla, Bulla Park, Cable
Downs, Canbelego, Cobar, Cobar East, Cubba, Donalds Plains,
Eremeran, Eremerang, Euabalong, Euabalong West, Florida,
Gunebang, Irymple, Keighrans Tank, Kerrigundi, Kulwin, Lerida,
Matakana, Meryula, Mount Drysdale, Mount Hope, Murrin Bridge,
Neckarboo, Noona, North Whoey, Nymagee, Priory Tank, Roto,
Sandy creek, Shuttleton, Tilpa, Tindarey and Yallock.
Cobar GenWeb Coordinator:
is a town and local
government area (population circa 2,500). It is situated
on the Castlereagh Highway north-west of Gilgandra. Local
produce includes wheat, sheep and wool.
Shire incorporates the communities of Avoca, Ballara, Beanbah,
Biblah, Billeroy, Black Hollow, Bourbah, Brigalow Bore,
Bungaries, Burwood, Calga West, Carwell, Ceelong, Chilcotts
Creek, Combara, Conimbia, Coonamble, Coonamble West, Emby,
Garoona, Gilgi, Gilgooma, Goorangarbie, Gulgar, Gulargambone,
Gungalman, Hollywood, Macqaurie Marshes, Magometon, Merri
Merri, Moonambil, Mount Tenandra, Mungeri, Nebea, Nedgera,
Omeo, Pages River, Penally, Pier Pier, Pine Grive, Quambone,
Quambothoo, Qyanda, Quilbone, Ravenswood, Riverside, Rosewood,
Sandy Camp, Sunny Park, Tenandra, Thurn, Tonderburine,
Tooloomi, Urawilkie, Warrana, Wingadee, Youie and Yuma.
is a service city with a
catchment population in excess of 120,000 (encompassing a third
of the area of NSW). Located at the intersection of the Mitchell,
Newell and Golden Highways, Dubbo is approximately 300 metres above sea
level. It is considered the cross-roads of New South Wales
as from Dubbo you can drive north to Brisbane, South to Melbourne, east to Sydney and Newcastle, and west to Broken Hill and Adelaide.
Dubbo is renowned for its Zoo.
Evidence of habitation by indigenous Australians dates circa
40,000 years. John Oxley was the first European to report
on the area (1818). The first settler was Robert Dulhunty.
Records show that squatters were given permission to establish
sheep and cattle stations in the area in 1824 but these were not
maintained. The year 1828 is commonly held to be the year
that Dulhunty arrived and named the area Dubbo but contradicting
reports place his arrival between 1829 and 1833.
shire incorporates the suburbs and communities of Angle Park,
Apollo, Arthurville, Ballimore, Barigal, Belgravia, Bencubbin,
Beni, Benolong, Boothenba, Brocklehurst, Bruah, Bunglegumbie,
Burrabadine, Butlers Falls, Churchill Gardens, Coolabaggie,
Cumooggie, Delory, Delroy Gardens, Delroy Park, Dickygundi,
Dilladerry, Drill Creek, Dubbo, Dubbo Grove, Dubbo North,
Dulhunty, Dundullimal, Dungary, Durraween, East Dubbo,
Eastridge, Equus, Erskine, Eschol, Eulomogo, Eumungerie,
Firgrove, Geurie, Goan Creek, Hyandra, Jaymark, Jones Creek,
Manera Heights, Minore, Mogriguy, Mugga Hill, Murrumbidgerie,
Newbury Park, North Burrabadine, Nubingerie, Oakdene, Old
Harbour, Orana Heights, Rawsonville, Raymond Hill, Richmond,
Rocky Road, Sappa Bulga, Sheraton Meadows, South Dubbo,
Talbragar, Terramungamine, The Pinnacle, The Springs,
Tomingley, Toongi, Troy, Troy Junction, Wambangalang, Warrie,
West Dubbo, Westella, Whylandra Crossing, Wongarbon,
Woodstock, Yarandale and Yylong.
Dubbo GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a town and local
government area located on the junction of the Newell, Oxley and Castlereagh Highways.
A post office was established in the town of Gilgandra in 1867
with proclamation occurring in 1888. The first town blocks
were sold in 1889; the area was constituted as a shire in 1906.
Positioned on the Castlereagh River, Gilgandra is a gateway to
Warrumbungle National Park.
A WWI recruitment march to Sydney began in Gilgandra in 1915; it
was known as the Coo-ee March after the distinct call of
'coo-ee' which was shouted to attract recruits. Twenty six men left Gilgandra on 10 October 1915.
Along the way they were joined by fellow Australians and by the
time they reached Sydney on 12 November 1915 the contingent
numbered 263 recruits.
Gilgandra Shire incorporates the
communities on Armatree, Balladoran, Bearbong, Bearbung, Berida,
Biddon, Boyen, Breelong, Bringle, Collie, Curban, Gilgandra,
Gulargambone, Innisfail, Kamer, Kickabil, Mendooran, New
Merrigal, Pibbon, Tooraweenah, Wallumburrawong, Windurong and
Gilgandra GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
a town and local government area located about 40 kilometres
west of Dubbo (population circa 3,000). It sits on the
Macquarie River and is renowned for its citrus fruits.
It is also deemed a pristine location for gliding with pilots
annually descending on the area for the State & National
Shire incorporates the communities of Buddah, Bulgandramine,
Bundemar, Burringeel, Burroway, Ceres, Dandaloo, Fairview,
Farrendale, Gin Gin, Haberworth, Mungeribar, Mungerie,
Narromine, Oaks Bridge, Timbrebongie, Tomingley, Tomingley
West, Trangie, Trangie Research Station, Tyrie, Webbs Siding
Narromine GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a town and a local
government area in northern New South Wales (population circa 2,100).
On the junction of the Barwon and Namoi rivers, it lies at the
intersection of the Kamilaroi and Castlereagh Highways.
Proclaimed in March 1885, it was once a port for paddle steamers
that plied the Murray-Darling river systems. Local produce
includes wool, wheat and cotton. It is also the gateway to
the New South Wales opal fields.
Walgett Shire incorporates the
communities of Angedool, Bairnkine, Bald Hills, Beanbri,
Bonanza, Boorooma, Borah Tank, Borgara, Bugilbone, Bulyeroi,
Burren, Burren Burren, Burren Junction, Burren Old, Burrenbah,
Canfells, Cara Mia, Carinda, Collarenebri, Come By Chance, Cryon,
Cumborah, Dungalear, Dungle Ridge, Dunumbral, Edenmore, Eurie
Eurie, Gingie, Gingie Community, Goondoobluie, Grawin, Guiseley,
Inverness Siding, Keelendi, Kiel Kiel, Kigwegil, Knobby Hill,
Koothney, Lightning Ridge, Mercadool, Merrywinebone, Milrea,
Moongulla, Morella, New Angledool, Newton Opal Field, Nine Mile
Opal Reef, Nobby, Nobby's Field, Old Burren, Pilliga, Pokataroo,
Rowena, Six Mile Opal Fields, Walgett, Walma, Waminda, Wellwood,
Wimindah, Windella and Wombo Saw Mill.
Walgett GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is situated on the
banks of the Macquarie River (population circa
2,200). Its local produce includes wool, cotton, wheat,
oats, sorghum and maize. Prior to European settlement the
area was the home of Ngiyambaa people. Both John Oxley and
Charles Sturt undertook exploration of the area; it became a
municipality in 1895.
Shire incorporates the communities of Black Merrigal,
Beemunnel, Belaringar, Bemunnel, Bogan, Buckinguy, Bullagreen,
Bundemar, Buttabone, Bambridge, Canonba, Cathundral, Collie,
Duffity, Eena Weena, Egelabra, Ellengerah, Ellersile, Ewenmar
Creek, Gillendoon, Gobabla, Gradgery, Gulargambone, Gunningbar,
Haddon Ridge, Hatton, Jedburgh, Marra Creek, Marthaguy,
Melrose, Merenele, Merrigal, Merrimba, Mount Foster, Mount
Harris, Mullengudgery, Mumblebone, Mumblebone Plain, Narrawin,
Neverdry, Nevertire, Noonbah, Pigeonbah, Pine Clump, Pretoria,
Raby, Red Hill, Reedy Corner, Roubaix, Snakes Plain, Tenandra,
The Marra, Wahroonga, Wambianna, Wamboin, Warren, Warren Weir,
Williewarina, Yahgunyah and Yanganbil.
GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is the amalgamation of Coolah and
Coonabarabran on Wednesday 25th August, 2004. The
shire is located within the foothills of the Warrumbungle and
Coolah Tops mountain ranges, halfway between the regional cities
of Dubbo and Tamworth (population circa 11,000). It is
famous for the internationally acclaimed Siding Spring
Observatory, Coolah Tops National Park and State Forests.
Of particular note is the spectactular Warrumbungle Mountain
Range, a region of past volcanic activity with unusual lava
The area incorporates the towns
and villages of Coonabarabran, Coolah, Binnaway, Baradine,
Mendooran and Dunedoo. It also comprises the communities
of Barwon, Belar, Binnia, Bomera, Boomley, Box Rdige, Bugaldie, Burra Bee Dee,
Cobbora, Connemarra, Coolah Creek, Craboon, Cumbil, Cumbil Corner,
Dandry, Deringulla, Giarragulang, Goolhi, Goorianwaw, Gowang, Hannahs Bridge,
Kenebri, Laheys Creek, Leadville, Liamena, Long Ridge,
Menooran, Meremebene, Merrygoen, Mollyan, Montauban, Murrawal,
Napier Lane, Neilrex, New Mollyan, Nombi, Okaey Creek,
Purlewaugh, Rocky Glen, Ropers Road, Siding Springs,
Springvale, Tannabah, Teridgerie, Timor, Toorawandi,
Toorawendah, Tuckland, Turee Creek, Uarby, Ulamambri, Uliman,
Warkton, Wattle Springs, Weetaliba, Wooleybah, Yarragrin,
Yearinan and Yearinan Springs.
GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is located at the junction of the Macquarie
and Bell Rivers in inland New South Wales. It was
originally inhabited by the Wiradjuri people. Then, in
1817, European explorer John Oxley arrived and subsequently
named the area Wellington Valley after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.
In 1823 the area became a convict settlement under the command
of Lieutenant Percy Simpson. Squatters soon followed and a
Christian mission was established, By 1831 convict
settlement had ceased. A village called Montefiores was established on the north side of the Macquarie River
crossing; while the village of Wellington was gazetted in 1846 and
declared a town in 1879. One year later the railway steamed
its way into Wellington.
is comprised of the following communities - Aspley,
Arthurville, Baker's Swamp, Ballimore, Black Rock, Blathery
Creek, Bodangora, Bournewood, Bundalla, Bungiebomar,
Burrendong, Burrendong Dam, Bushrangers Creek, Cardington, Comobella,
Cundumbul, Curra Creek, Dripstone, Elong Elong,
Euchareena, Eurimbla, Falls Road, Farnham, Finger Post, Geurie,
Gollan, Kerrs Creek, Lake Burrendong, Lincoln, Loombah, Lower
Mookebawa, Maryvale, Montefiores, Mookerawa, Mount Aquila,
Mount Arthur, Muckerwa, Mumbil, Murongbung, Nanima, Neurea,
Ponto, Saxa, Spicers Creek, Store Creek, Stuart Town, Suntop,
Terrabella, Twelve Mile, Walmer, Walmer, Warnecliffe,
Wellington Caves, Windora, Wuuluman, Yarragal, Yeoval and
GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer