Richmond-Tweed is a north-east, diverse sub-tropical region
encompassing national parks, state forests, kilometres of beaches, rivers,
lakes, wetlands and crystal clear streams. Six council shires
comprise Richmond-Tweed - Ballina,
Byron, Kyogle, Lismore,
Richmond Valley and Tweed.
Required for the position of Richmond-Tweed
County Coordinator. A County Coordinator maintains the county website
and moderates the existing message board. This is not a difficult position
and anyone with basic web editing experience and a genuine interest in the region is welcome to apply. In addition to web and query
maintenance, a County Coordinator also oversees the local GenWebs within its
region. This duty is non-technical as a County Coordinator operates in an
advisory capacity only.
Existing Local GenWeb Coordinators and non-locals are welcome to apply for the position.
(map) is a town and
local government area established on the northern shore of the Richmond River near Cape
Byron in the 1840s, Australia's most easterly point (town
population circa 16,599). It is approximately 750km north of Sydney and
205km south of Brisbane.
Some believe that Ballina is named after the Irish town of Ballina; others believe it
derives from an indigenous term meaning 'place of many oysters'
- the names 'Bullinah' and 'Boolinah' have been mooted.
Ballina has a sister city agreement with its Irish namesake.
Ballina Shire was formed by the amalgamation of Ballina Municipality and Tintenbar Shire in 1976.
It includes the towns of Alstonville (population circa 4,773), Lennox Head
(population circa 5,843) and Wollongbar (population circa
1,959); and the villages of Wardell, Tintenbar and Teven.
GenWeb Coordinator: (adopt
a local government area (population circa 30,000); located about 800km north of Sydney and 200km south of
Brisbane, Captain James Cook named the area Byron after John Byron.
Cape Byron, a headland adjacent to the town, is the eastern-most point of the continent of Australia, and is part of a giant volcanic crater. The Cape Byron lighthouse was opened in
1901; it has the most powerful beacon in Australia. The town has several beautiful beaches and
is popular with residents from various socio-economic backgrounds.
It has gained a reputation for its laid back, alternative
lifestyle. The area is also noted for its wildlife, with the whale watching industry a significant contributor to the local economy.
is a town
and local government area located 758km north of Sydney
(population circa 3,000). Situated on the Richmond River,
Kyogle is the seat of its own shire. Kyogle is an Aboriginal
word meaning 'place of the bush turkey'.
Cattle grazing and dairy farming are the primary
industries. In the early days, lumber jacking was the main reason for settlement
as red cedar and hoop pine dominated the local area.
Kyogle is a gateway to many National Parks including the Border Ranges National Park and Toonumbar National Park.
GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a sub-tropical city and local government area.
It's traditional inhabitants were the Bundjalung people. Evidence indicates
that the Bundjalung people arrived from the north of Australia around 8,000 years ago.
European History of Lismore
began circa 1843 when a pastoral run, covering an area of 93km˛, was
undertaken by Captain Dumaresq. The run was stocked with sheep from the New England area.
Ward Stephens took up the run in the same year, but the sub-tropical climate was unsuited to sheep grazing, so the run was eventually abandoned.
In January 1845, William and Jane Wilson took over the run. Jane Wilson was responsible for naming it after
Lismore in Scotland where the couple had honeymooned. The Wilsons were Scottish
themselves having arrived in New South Wales in May 1883. In 1855, a surveyor by the name of Frederick Peppercorne was instructed by Sir Thomas Mitchell to determine a site for a township in the area. The chosen site was William Wilson's homestead
paddock; the area was proclaimed the 'Town of Lismore' in the NSW Government Gazette on 1 May 1856.
GenWeb Coordinator: Volunteer
is a local government area in northern New South Wales.
Named after the Richmond River which runs through the region, the council
seat is located at Casino. A rural area dominated by
cattle, sugar cane and wheat crops, the Richmond Valley is also
known for its pecans.
Villages in the
shire include Coraki, Woodburn, Evans Head and Stratheden.
GenWeb Coordinator: Mandy
is administered by the Tweed Shire Council.
The European history of the Tweed Shire began in 1823 when the Tweed River was
explored by John Oxley. After sheltering on Cook Island (4km from the River's mouth), Oxely travelled 11km up river.
In 1828, Captain H J Rous explored 50km up river. Settlers began to arrive in
the late 1820s; the first of which where 'cedargetters' who harvested
and exported the Great Red Cedar to England.
Tweed Shire includes
a number of Gold Coast suburbs such as Tweed Heads, Banora Point, Kingscliff, Fingal Head, Chinderah and Terranora;
as well as a number of towns and villages such as Murwillumbah
(population circa 7,596), Bogangar (population circa 3,043), Pottsville
(population circa 2,585), Burringbar (population circa 332), Tumbulgum
(population circa 360) and Uki (population circa 211).