Ballina & Richmond River GenWeb
Bagotville Provisional School
The first facilities for education at Bagotville were provided in 1913, when a building was erected by the Progress Association to house a subsidised school. A local girl, Miss F. Street, was the teacher. Prior to the opening of the subsidised school all the children of the district had to travel to Meerschaum Vale for their schooling.
Soon after the subsidised school was established its enrolment had grown sufficiently to warrant the opening of a public school. The Department of Education approved and building of the new school began towards the end of 1913.
FIRST DEPARTMENTAL TEACHER
The new school was opened In January, 1914, with Mr. K. McAuley as the first teacher in charge. When Mr. McAuley enlisted in the army and was replaced by Miss E. White. A Parents and Citizens' Association was formed and Mr. C. Eggins became its first president.
Mr. E. Parker, the school's third teacher, lived at Broadwater and rode to school on a horse or motorcycle depending on the state of the roads. At that time twenty-three pupils were enrolled at the school.
The enrolment became so small in 1929 that the school was closed until January, 1931. Mr. R. Boyd was appointed teacher in charge when the school was reopened. He was succeeded by Mr. W. Watson and Mr. 0. A. Plumb.
In the mid 1930's the school population reached its highest level. Forty-seven pupils were enrolled at that time.
Fire destroyed the school building equipment and records in December, 1937. During the following year while the school was being rebuilt Mr. H. Greenberg taught the pupils in a barn on the property then occupied by Mr. G. H. Wilson and now owned by Mr. W. Henderson.
The new school building was first occupied in January, 1939, and Mr. Greenberg remained teacher in charge until he enlisted. His successor, Mr. J. J. Hulme, enlisted in the R.A.A.F. at the end of 1942 and the school was without a teacher until Mrs. J. Giggins was appointed to the school in April, 1943.
Since the war the school population has fluctuated between ten and twenty-five. Teachers during that time. have been: Messrs. F. Moloney (1945-46), W. A. Suters (1947-49), J. W. Burton (1950-54), T. Hicks (1955-56), and R.W. Shaw (1957-58).
P.& C. ASSOCIATION
The Parents and Citizens' Association has given staunch support to the school ever since it was established in 1914. In recent years it has donated many teaching aids and items of equipment to the school as well as giving valuable assistance in the form of voluntary labour.
The P. and C. president, Mr. H. Marriott, has held that position on ten occasions since 1948. Other office bearers are: Mr. T. Monti, Mrs. M. Akins, Mrs. B. Manning and Mr. R. T. Tulk.
At the present time the school, with Mr. D. Anable as teacher in charge, has an enrolment of thirteen pupils
School history kindly supplied by Kathy Pearson.
Source: the publication STATUS QUO MCMLIX; presents the schools of the Ballina Inspectorate at this time - Education Week, 1959 - and their origins.