Ballina & Richmond River GenWeb
< Back to Surname Index
Birth: 01 July 1819
Baptism: 15 August 1819 St. Giles Cripplegate, London, England Parents:
Death: 27 November 1893 Ballina
Could read and write.
A brother: Charles, Christening 2 Dec 1821 St. Giles Cripplegate, London,
England Parents: Edward William, Sarah
Spouse Eleanor EWING
Place: St James, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Christening 15 Aug 1819 St. Giles Cripplegate, London, London, England
Parents: Father Edward William CLEMENT, Mother Sarah
d: 27.11.1893 2 male 2 female deceased
Elenor (sic) (Eleanor) Ewing [1820-1890]
p: William Ewing (bookbinder) & Sarah
b: c1820 London England
d: 08.08.1890 paralysis (70) pioneer cemetery,Ballina
William E Clement [1845-1929]
Eleanor S Clement m: Lemuel Snow
Henry C Clement Lismore [1850- ]
Maria (Marie) G Clement [1852- ] m: James Young
Annie Clement Bullinah (sic) [1854- ]
Isabella S Clement m: 1879 George Ambrose Skennar
Albert Clement (scalded) ? [1883-1864]
Occupations: mail man, post master, carpenter, builder, storekeeper, canefarmer, mill owner & oyster farmer.
Arrived in Australia 1842.
Arrived at the Richmond River in 1846.
Eleanor Ewing arrived in N.S.W in 1842.
The Clement family arrived in Australia in 1842. They came to the Richmond in1846. He was a carpenter and builder by trade and he built 'Lismore House' for William Wilson. He then moved to Ballina where he finished building the first
public School. With a partner Fred Bacon, he re-built the 'Sawyers Arms Hotel' and before 1856 he was in charge of a weekly horseback operated mail service to Casino. He kept this going until Edmund Ross took over this service in
He selected land and later in 1864 or 1866 he took up the property south of Prospect at North Creek and was one of the first cane growers. William Clement, William Henry Clement, Henry Clement and Alfred Clement selected on
Thursday, 28th August, 1867, 40 acres situated at McBride's wharf, three miles from Ballina on the eastern side of North Creek.
He built the Alpha Mill, the first built sugar mill in Ballina. This was horse-powered with wooden rollers. Even though they updated the mill it failed. He may have also been involved with the mill built by John Sharpe in 1870.
A William Clement is listed as a planter at North Creek in the Greville's 1872 Post Office Directory for Ballina and again in 1875/77. The bank foreclosed on him after the death of William Yabsley. In 1881-84 the family had two children
and three employees in Ballina. He topped the poll to become Ballina's first mayor in 1883, 1884 and 1885. He was mayor of Ballina's first council. Because of hard times he was reliant on his oyster leases for money.
From Dr. Edward M Bridle, Archivist, University of New England and Regional Archives, Armidale:
"Eleanor came to Australia as a young governess (or domestic servant according to shipping records) in the charge of one Joseph Keen as noted in the shipping records on her departure from England. This may be the same man as the Joseph
Kane of King St., Sydney, who appears as a witness in the marriage register.
Her parents were still alive in 1842. Her father's name was William; her mother's name, according to the immigration records, was Maria, although Eleanor's death notice in 1890 (probably less reliable) gives her mother as Sarah."
From IGI: Baptism: 15 June 1820 Shoreditch, London, England, UK
Immigration records: Arrived Sydney 14 February 1842 "Sir Edward Paget"
Marriage: 1 August 1842, St James, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
Marriage witnesses were Joseph Kane, of King Street and Elisha Hayes of Castlereagh Street, Sydney.
1. Eleanor Sarah CLEMENT
Birth: 1843 Brickfield Hill, New South Wales, Australia
Marriage: 24 May 1863 Ballina, New South Wales, Australia
Spouse: Lemuel Griggs SNOW (In 1887 a Lemuel SNOW was appointed Teacher-in-Charge at Tintenbar Public School. May have been him or his son.)
2. William Edward CLEMENT
Birth: 1844 Brickfield Hill, New South Wales, Australia
Death: 02 April 1929 Ballina
Spouse: Elizabeth Siebert (1857 - 1953)
3. Henry CLEMENT
3. Maria CLEMENT
Birth: 1853 Ballina NSW
Marriage: 1872 Richmond River NSW
Spouse: James Brown YOUNG
4. Annie CLEMENT
Birth: 5 Nov 1854 Ballina, NSW
Marriage: 30 July 1873
Spouse: James Pater Field Walker (born 10 July 1841 London, son of Dr. Josiah
Wesley WALKER and Anne Taylor PRETTY, who also immigrated to Australia.
Josiah was a doctor in Camden NSW and later in Lismore.)
Death: Annie Clement Walker died of the severe epidemic of measles that swept through Lismore in 1876.
Jonathan Josiah WALKER (1874 - 1883)
Ernest James WALKER (1876 - 1968) (My grandfather)
5. Isabella CLEMENT
Birth: 1856 Ballina, New South Wales, Australia
Parents: Father: William CLEMENT
Mother: Eleanor EWING
Marriage: 21 May 1879 Place: Ballina, NSW, Australia (IGI has Lismore)
Spouse: George Ambrose Skennar (oldest son of John Frederick Skennar and Mary Anne Wheeler, who also had a daughter Henrietta.)
Death: 26 Jul 1928 Place: Ballina
Children: Florence Jane, John Ewing, George Wheeler, May (Dolly), Maud, Isabella, Eleanor (Nellie) and Frederick John.
6. Alfred CLEMENT Sex: M
Birth: 1860 Ballina, NSW
Death: 1864, from scalding.
7. Albert CLEMENT Sex: M
Birth: 1863 Ballina, NSW
From Dr. Edward M Bridle, Archivist, University of New England and Regional Archives, Armidale:
"William Clement, aged 23, carpenter, and Eleanor Ewing, aged 21, domestic servant, both natives of London, arrived in Sydney as assisted migrants aboard the barque "Sir Edward Paget" on the 14th February, 1842, after a voyage during
which 120 of the 248 immigrants on board had contracted scarlet fever (there were three deaths, all children). They were married at St James' C of E, Sydney, on the 1st of August in the same year (which suggests that theirs may
have been a shipboard romance). The children of the marriage were:
Eleanor S., b. 1843
William E., b. 1853
Maria, b. 1853
Alfred, b. 1860
Albert, b. 1863
William's parents were Edward William and Sarah Clement, both apparently dead by the time he left England. His christening is recorded at St Giles, Cripplegate, London, on the 15th August, 1819."
William Clement was a pioneer of the Richmond River district of NSW. He was the builder and owner of the Alpha Sugar Works, and was the first Mayor of Ballina. A headstone marking his grave, and his wife's, can be found in the memorial
cemetery park at East Ballina near the northern end of Missingham Bridge.
From: "Across Two Bridges: Island Base for Council 1883 - 1983" by Cliff Murray
29 HAVE LED
HISTORY of local government in the north-east corner has no better documented story of an individual contribution than the records of the Richmond River Historical Society of Ballina's first mayor, Ald. William Clement.
His name headed the list of 54 who successfully petitioned in 1882 for Ballina to become a municipal district. He was listed as a "freeholder" - a classification he shared with 25 other petitioners. He shared the lead with Charles Jarrett at the top of the poll for the election of the first council, each having 30 votes. The six elected aldermen had all signed the petition, which was rewarded with the incorporation of the municipality on June 3, 1883.
The first mayor was born in England on July 1, 1819, and came to Australia with his parents* at the age of 22. On the voyage he met a young governess, Eleanor Ewing, and they were married in St. James Church in Sydney on August 1,
1842. They lived in Sydney for four years and had two children, Eleanor and William Edward.
(* note - shipping records say "parents deceased")
In 1846 the family decided to come to the Northern Rivers, a new land which was receiving a good deal of publicity through reports filtering to Sydney, principally about cedar. The voyage to Ballina in a sailing schooner took one
week and they had temporary residence with the pioneering Yabsley family.
William Clement, a carpenter by trade, first worked away from the coast building a home at Tomki for Clark Irving and then on Lismore House in Lismore for the city's founder, William Wilson. He was probably imbued with some of the
town-building enterprise of those two pioneers when he followed a building boom to Ballina, which had been declared a town in 1856.
Mr. Clement built many of the early homes and public buildings in Ballina, including the first public school and the Sawyers' Arms Hotel in the North Creek area. He selected a small property at North Creek and became one of the first to grow sugar cane on the Richmond and was claimed to be the first man to drive a two-wheel vehicle from Ballina to Lismore, cutting through scrub and travelling by Tintenbar and Wollongbar.
Mr. Clement prepared a petition for an extension of the telegraph line from the Clarence to Ballina. It revealed that in 1869, 174 coastal vessels entered the Ballina port and 44 vessels from foreign ports. The ships brought "breadstuffs, groceries, wearing apparel and other necessities required for a population of 3000 souls and left the port with cargoes of timber amounting to upwards of 8,500,000 super feet, 120,000 bushels of maize, 36,000 staves and spokes besides other produce of farms."
Mr. Clement was a community leader before the birth of the municipality. His vision allowed him to read the signs of what could be ahead when he prepared the petition for the new municipal district. His confidence was given a ready example in 1881 when he commenced taking a census to meet the municipal qualification of a population of 500. The census showed 553 when it closed off in 1882.
He received a just reward for his endeavours when, after sharing the lead in the council poll, he became mayor of the first council and was re-elected after the brief six-month term of the first council brought it into line with the State-wide local government elections in February.
Ald. Clement gave a direct lead in the planning that was the foundation for building Ballina from the swamp and low-lying area that, more than in any other North Coast town, caused problems with drainage as, before the breakwaters,
some parts of the young town were sometimes washed by salt water.
It was a slow process and it is part of contemporary memory that the present R.S.L. Club, C.W.A. rooms and other waterfront constructions are on land that was reclaimed from the river which, in strong wind, had splashed across the
footway to the road on the southern side of River Street.
The William Clement papers held by the University of New England at Armidale reflect the extraordinary degree to which the mayor, as a personality, became involved in the letter-writing and matters dealing with the council as a whole.
In September 1885, Ald.Clement wrote to the Mayor of Goulburn, for information about borrowing money for the erection of public baths; in January 1887 he wrote to Ald. Holden "We the undersigned ratepayers request that you will allow
yourself to be nominated for re-election." Ald. Holden became the second mayor of Ballina in 1886.
In July 1885, Ald.Clement was the contact for Member of Parliament, Mr. S. W. Gray, for advice that 2000 pounds was being given to the council to replace soil on the sides of the road, from which "Government construction had utilised
material for forming the cemetery embankment prior to Ballina being incorporated."
At the end of his three-year term as mayor, Ald. Clement was deservedly rewarded with an illuminated address as a testimonial by the community on February 10, 1886. The address was signed by six aldermen on behalf of ratepayers,
Mrs. Clement died on August 8 1890 and William Clement on November 27 1893. Both are buried in the East Ballina cemetery, which has become Pioneer Park.
While the first decisions of Ballina Council are preserved in minute books at the Mitchell Library in Sydney, Mr. Clement left a treasure trove of Ballina history in the personal records passed to the Richmond River Historical Society by a descendant, Mr. H. Garred. Boxes of documents have gone into the archives of the University of New England at Armidale. A record of letters and the council and business affairs of Mr. Clement are listed in Lismore and available
from the university.
From: "Port of Richmond River - Ballina 1840s to 1980s" by Glen Hall
WILLIAM CLEMENT (1819-1893)
If any one man could justifiably be called the father of Ballina, that man would surely have to be William Clement. Born in England in 1819 and trained as a carpenter, the young Clement left for Australia in 1841. Romance developed and blossomed on that long sailing-ship voyage, so much so that he and another passenger, Eleanor Ewing, were married soon after their arrival in Sydney.
In 1846, they, with two young children, came to the Richmond, staying and working with William Yabsley of Coraki. There was no shortage of work for a carpenter, and Clement was engaged to build the "Lismore House" homestead for
Returning to Ballina, Clement built many of the first public and private buildings there, including the first Public School and the Sawyers Arms Hotel.
Later, he selected land at North Creek and became one of the first to grow
sugar-cane. He, together with L. G. Snow built the Alpha Sugar Mill, which was thought to be the first sugar mill on the Richmond, hence its name, Alpha.
When Local Government elections were first held in 1883, William Clement topped the poll and became Ballina's first Mayor. He left behind him a great deal of interesting written material, most of which is now in the archives of the
Richmond River Historical Society and the New England University.
Clement died in 1893
Submitted by: Kathy
Copy of page originally transcribed by Mandy O'Neill (content remains unedited)
© 2017 BalliGenWeb